50 Years Since The Tibet Uprising

Talk about what's happening now. Talk politics. Talk about whatever is going on in this world.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

50 Years Since The Tibet Uprising

Post by Emil »

Sorry this might be the wrong section for this but I didn't know where to put this.
Anyway tomorrow it's been 50 years since the chinese send Dalai Lama into exile. Dicuss please.

I know i should have something concrete to say too but i have a doctors appointment so i can't.
Pedro
Resident Skumfuk
n00b: boni/half of sandro

Re: 50 Years Since The Tibet Uprising

Post by Pedro »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
J-Pan
Bunkface
First name: Jason
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by J-Pan »

Exile to India
The Dalai Lama met with the Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru, to urge India to pressure China into giving Tibet an autonomous government, as relations with China were not proving successful. Nehru did not want to increase tensions between China and India, so he encouraged the Dalai Lama to work on the Seventeen Point Agreement Tibet had with China. Eventually, after the failed uprising in 1959, the Dalai Lama fled Tibet and set up the Government of Tibet in Exile in Dharamshala, India,[25] which is often referred to as "Little Lhasa".

First meeting: Jawaharlal Nehru and the Dalai Lama at Mussoorie in 1959 soon after he fled TibetAfter the founding of the exiled government he reestablished the approximately 80,000 Tibetan refugees who followed him into exile in agricultural settlements.[5] He created a Tibetan educational system in order to teach the Tibetan children the traditional language, history, religion, and culture. The Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts was established[5] in 1959 and the Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies[5] became the primary university for Tibetans in India. He supported the refounding of 200 monasteries and nunneries in an attempt to preserve Tibetan Buddhist teachings and the Tibetan way of life.

The Dalai Lama appealed to the United Nations on the question of Tibet. This appeal resulted in three resolutions adopted by the General Assembly in 1959, 1961, and 1965.[5] These resolutions required China to respect the human rights of Tibetans and their desire for self-determination. In 1963, he promulgated a democratic constitution which is based upon the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. A Tibetan parliament-in-exile is elected by the Tibetan refugees scattered all over the world, and the Tibetan Government-in-Exile is likewise elected by the Tibetan parliament. In 1970, he opened the Library of Tibetan Works and Archives in Dharamshala which houses over 80,000 manuscripts and important knowledge resources related to Tibetan history, politics and culture. It is considered one of the most important institutions for Tibetology in the world. [26]

At the Congressional Human Rights Caucus in 1987 in Washington, D.C., he proposed a Five-Point Peace Plan regarding the future status of Tibet. The plan called for Tibet to become a "zone of peace" and for the end of movement by ethnic Han Chinese into Tibet. It also called for "respect for fundamental human rights and democratic freedoms" and "the end of China's use of Tibet for nuclear weapons production, testing, and disposal." Finally, it urged "earnest negotiations" on the future of Tibet.

He proposed a similar plan at Strasbourg on 15 June 1988. He expanded on the Five-Point Peace Plan and proposed the creation of a self-governing democratic Tibet, "in association with the People's Republic of China." This plan was rejected by the Tibetan Government-in-Exile in 1991. In October 1991, he expressed his wish to return to Tibet to try to make a mutual assessment on the situation with the Chinese local government. At this time he feared that a violent uprising would take place and wished to avoid it. The Dalai Lama has indicated that he wishes to return to Tibet only if the People's Republic of China sets no preconditions for his return, which they have so far refused to do.[27][28]

The Dalai Lama celebrated his seventieth birthday on 6 July 2005. About 10,000 Tibetan refugees, monks and foreign tourists gathered outside his home. Patriarch Alexius II of the Russian Orthodox Church said, "I confess that the Russian Orthodox Church highly appreciates the good relations it has with the followers of Buddhism and hopes for their further development." Taiwan's President, Chen Shui-bian, attended an evening celebrating the Dalai Lama's birthday that was entitled "Travelling with Love and Wisdom for 70 Years" at the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall in Taipei. The President invited him to return to Taiwan for a third trip in 2005. His previous trips were in 2001, and 1997.[29] In Tibet there is a popular song calling for his return to Tibet called Aku Pema.
J-Pan
Bunkface
First name: Jason
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar

Post by J-Pan »

good old wikipedia discusses the issue to us :winkwink:
iemnaiz
Chuck
First name: ZIAN

Post by iemnaiz »

How are you?
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

i personally believe that the Tibetans should have the right to decide(just like catalonia or northern ireland should too )if they want to be independent
i'm sure that the chinese government must have some interest on the region , just like the russian goverment has on the Caucasus(oil , wait isn't that familiar -?)
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

:lol!:
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

Still Waiting wrote:i personally believe that the Tibetans should have the right to decide(just like catalonia or northern ireland should too )if they want to be independent
Northern Ireland doesn't want to be independent? its just the IRA being assholes?
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Jake! wrote:
Still Waiting wrote:i personally believe that the Tibetans should have the right to decide(just like catalonia or northern ireland should too )if they want to be independent
Northern Ireland doesn't want to be independent? its just the IRA being assholes?
you remind me of the spaniards who call us terrorist just because people like me want to be independent , there's a huge difference ... i'm against terrorism killing innocent people is not the solution to the problem
the only thing that ETA (similar to the IRA ) did well was killing carrero blanco back in the 70's , we would probably still have a dictatorship now if that dude survived , apart from that i'm agaisnt ETA, IRa, Hamas, Al qaeda , etc