The Official Non-Official Album Review Thread

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
soft-punker
Bunkface
First name: Zoli
Last.fm Username: rocknrollazz

Re: The Official Non-Official Album Review Thread

Post by soft-punker »

Yeah, I think. :) That's not that much, and most of them are well-known bands, so you didn't even have to seek them, and only 3-4 bands have really good lyrics from that list. If you want some great lyrics, you could try these albums when you have the time:
- La Dispute - Somewhere At the Bottom of the River Between Vega and Altair
- Mewithoutyou - Catch for Us the Foxes
- Thrice - Vheissu
- Converge - Jane Doe
Just to name a few of my favourites. You may like one of them.

There are a lot of good pop artists in the world, they just don't get airplay. I still think that this 80's (disco influenced) rock'n'roll style fits MCR perfectly. If they would have left out the slow songs and made the album less electronic, it would be even better. But it's still a big surprise for me.

I think I've never called MCR emo, that wouldn't make sense. Only the lyrics themselves don't make a band emo.

On:
We are the Ocean - Cutting Our Teeth

British emocore with a Dallas Green-wannabe vocalist. Catchy songs, nice melodies, but there are a lot of better bands in this genre. Only the vocalist makes them better than the other average emocore bands. 6/10.
Last edited by soft-punker on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[Last.fm]________RateYourMusic

"If looks could really kill, then my profression would be staring..."
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

soft-punker wrote:- La Dispute - Somewhere At the Bottom of the River Between Vega and Altair
- Thrice - Vheissu
- Converge - Jane Doe
Converge,Thrice - whole discographies in my PC ...the list I wrote is not complete ...there is much more ...and Mewithoutyou is good ...

I will not argue with you because I think that in your opinion none of the bands who gained success are able to have good lyrics :) Breaking Benjamin - Dear Agony and more ...what's wrong with them ???they are pretty famous so their lyrics suck ??I know 2 of those bands you wrote and I don't think they will ever beat Working Class Hero lyrically or in any other way ...

from your posts everyone can read that you are very proud of the bands you listen to and you are also proud that you listen to them and they are not well known ...I would say that you like those bands even more because they're not successful ...I like them too ...I know a lot of bands that nobody knows about but I don't think that their lyrics are the best ...

btw: now answer honestly ...did you really listen to all of the bands I wrote or you just know their names and you say that their lyrics are not that good ...try listen to Dear Agony and learn something about Benjamin(singer) ...that song is very honest and it motivates me and it is very well written... most of the song you can hear how weak he feels and how much pain he goes through ...but there are two sentences totally different to the rest of the song ...sorry for the writing but I fucking love that song XD

I also know We Are The Ocean ! :D
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
soft-punker
Bunkface
First name: Zoli
Last.fm Username: rocknrollazz

Post by soft-punker »

FuckT41182 wrote:
soft-punker wrote:- La Dispute - Somewhere At the Bottom of the River Between Vega and Altair
- Thrice - Vheissu
- Converge - Jane Doe
Converge,Thrice - whole discographies in my PC ...the list I wrote is not complete ...there is much more ...and Mewithoutyou is good ...

I will not argue with you because I think that in your opinion none of the bands who gained success are able to have good lyrics :) Breaking Benjamin - Dear Agony and more ...what's wrong with them ???they are pretty famous so their lyrics suck ??I know 2 of those bands you wrote and I don't think they will ever beat Working Class Hero lyrically or in any other way ...

from your posts everyone can read that you are very proud of the bands you listen to and you are also proud that you listen to them and they are not well known ...I would say that you like those bands even more because they're not successful ...I like them too ...I know a lot of bands that nobody knows about but I don't think that their lyrics are the best ...

btw: now answer honestly ...did you really listen to all of the bands I wrote or you just know their names and you say that their lyrics are not that good ...try listen to Dear Agony and learn something about Benjamin(singer) ...that song is very honest and it motivates me and it is very well written... most of the song you can hear how weak he feels and how much pain he goes through ...but there are two sentences totally different to the rest of the song ...sorry for the writing but I fucking love that song XD

I also know We Are The Ocean ! :D
And you still think that WTTBP has the best lyrics? Anyway, if you like mewithoutyou, then I'm almost sure that you'd like La Dispute as well.

The problem is with your statement is that I like a lot of mainstream bands. :) Working Class Hero is quite good, but I think it's not the best. It seems like both of us prefer the lyrics that we either can relate to or it has a special meaning to us. For example, I really like the lyrics of a lot of 2nd wave emo bands (Mineral, Piebald, American Football, etc.), because they remind me of my summer memories.

I'm not proud, it's just a really good feeling when you discover an awesome band that almost noone knows. I think it's much better than listening to a band that almost everyone knows.

Honestly? I've listened to at least one album from all of those bands with a few exceptions, but I think I've heard at least one song from each of them. I have every Breaking Benjamin album, but their lyrics are just nothing special for me.

Good, forget them fast, and listen to some real emocore. :D
Last edited by soft-punker on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Last.fm]________RateYourMusic

"If looks could really kill, then my profression would be staring..."
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

yeah ...I think it's time to end our discussion ...simply we both like different things :)

none of us listen to Lady Gaga so we're still fucking smart ! both of us ! xD
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

soft-punker wrote:It seems like both of us prefer the lyrics that we either can relate to or it has a special meaning to us. For example, I really like the lyrics of a lot of 2nd wave emo bands (Mineral, Piebald, American Football, etc.), because they remind me of my summer memories.
this is the killer statement. everyone can relate to different songs for different reasons through their experiences, which is why you're both disagreeing on what bands have the best lyrical content.

let's all agree to disagree and move on with the thread, which is an album review thread! :glad:
Filespit
Bunkface
First name: Peter

Post by Filespit »

Band Name
Good Charlotte
Album Name
Cardiology
Band Members
Joel Madden
Beni Madden
Billy Martin
Paul Thomas
Dean Butterworth
Best Songs
Like it's Her Birthday
Last Night
Worst Songs
More or less all the others
Rating out of 5
3-

My interest in music started about 4-5 years ago (I had absolutely no interest in it before that), and one of the bands I was really into at the time was Good Charlotte. I actually considered them one of my favorite bands, and I was really looking forward to their new album (Good Morning Revival). Once released I was actually a fan of it, a big fan in fact, and I listened to it quite a lot. Now, 3-4 years later, I cannot understand what got me so hooked. However, there are some good songs in that album, no one can deny that (The River is one of their best ones ever). Then I started to discover other bands and genres, and Good Charlotte disappeared for me.

Then, about a year ago, I read that they would release a new album this year. "It's gonna be a Blink-record", that's what they said, and that got me quite excited. They can't do worse than GMR can they? Then they released Cardiology, and man was I proved wrong! This is by far the worst album Good Charlotte has ever done, and I cannot for my life understand how Benji Madden can consider this his favorite GC album. There are some good songs on this one though. I do find Like it's Her Birthday quite catchy, and I like Last Night and about 2-3 others. But the rest of the album is pure crap, and the fact that Good Charlotte recorded this album twice really makes me wonder. So what about the rating? I don't think it deserves 1/5, it's good enough to pass that. I'll give it 3- because I still find some songs good enough to help it just pass the 3-mark. But it's a really weak 3/5. "It's gonna be a Blink-record", yeah right...
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

if the pop song Like it´s her birthday belongs in section Best songs than I can´t imagine how bad the rest of the album sounds...
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

Story of the year - the constant

Dan Marsala – Vocals
Ryan Phillips- Guitar
Philip Sneed – Guitar
Adam Russell – Bass
Josh Wills – Drums

Best songs:
I'm alive
to the burial

worst songs:
the ghost of you and I
holding onto you

3.5/5
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Album
Insomniac - Green Day

Best Songs
Armatage Shanks
Geek Stink Breath
Brain Stew
Walking Contradiction

Rundown
Well, it may not be as famed as its revolutionary predecessor, but Insomniac packs much more of a punch. The sound is much more refined where it sounded much more timid and lost in Dookie, while the singles may not be quite so tuneful. The pounding drums of Armatage Shanks and the blazing riff from Geek Stink breath bring a new meaning to 90s music. A much more serious album, a couple songs are indistinguishable from each other and come across as not quite filler, as they all have their different sounds and features - but they don't exactly attract much attention on the first listen. However, this problem is present in almost every old Green Day album, and has certainly improved since Dookie. Songs such as Brain Stew break this mould and deliver and excellently presented, yet very delirious and distorted sample of pure punk energy. Another thing obvious from this album is that... well... the guys have matured a bit (I know, right?) - both musically and... well... no. They're still immature as fuck. While songs like Walking Contradiction are bouncy enough to be a lost hit from Dookie, the majority of the rest of the album has adopted a more advanced style. A lot like the moaning in Dookie's Longview really, but heavier and with a better overall sound.

Rating
4.5/5

Closing Comments
If you liked any of Green Day's older works, this album tops them all. If not as a collection of killer hits like Dookie, then one single experience of distortion and insomia.
fuck this signature nonsense
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

Album: Happeners
Artist: White Wives

Indian Summer, Indian Summer- 8/10 Repeats itself a little to much, but I really like the music.

Sky Started Crying- 7/10. My least favorite on the whole album.

Hungry Ghost- 10/10. A little different then the version on the LP, but one of my favorites.

Spinning Wheels- 7.5/10. One of my least favorites. But it's still enjoyable.

Paper Chaser- 10/10. Great vocals, The chorus is the best part of the song.

Another City, Another Weekend- 9/10. Very well done. Everything sounds perfect together.*

Hallelujah, I'm Mourning. - 10/10. My favorite on the whole album. This is a must listen.*

Grow So Wild and Free - 8/10. Great song. A little different than the others.

The Devil's Alibi - 8.5/10. Great song to chill too.

Let It Go - 9.5/10. The guitars are really good on here. Music is the best part on here.

Like a runaway Slave - 10/10. I love the lyrics in this song and the vocals. This is another must listen.*

Key tracks: Hallelujah, I'm Mourning, Like a Runaway Slave and Another City, Another Weekend.
KingofBillySpleen
First name: Jared
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Vocals
Last.fm Username: None

Post by KingofBillySpleen »

blink-182
Take Off Your Pants And Jacket
Release Date: 2001
Tracks
1. Anthem Part Two: A great opener song. I don't get why they call it Anthem Part Two though because it sounds nothing like the first. 8/10
2. Online Songs: A really great song. I wish they played it live. 10/10
3. First Date: Another great song. It's catchy and the video is hilarious. 10/10
4. Happy Holidays: A short song that is pretty funny. 7/10
5. Story of A Lonely Guy: Another great song. The intro is cool. 9/10
6. The Rock Show: The songs keep being good. A nice fast paced song. 9/10
7. Stay Together for the Kids: A serious song. It's good too. 9/10
8. Roller Coaster: After a sad one comes this fast paced song. It is one of the best on the album. 10/10
9. Reckless Abandon: Starts off a little slow then becomes a great fast song. 9/10
10. Everytime I Look for You: I often listen to this one. It's catchy, fast, and has good lyrics. 10/10
11. Give Me One Reason: I really like the chorus. Nuf said. 8/10
12. Shut Up: Like the previous song, I think the chorus is the best part. 9/10
13. Please Take Me Home: A good ending song. The chorus is awesome. 8/10

So far this is my favorite blink album.
Spoiler: show
blink-182
Neighborhoods
Tracks
1. Ghost on the Dance Floor: Not my favorite track but the intro and the verses are really good. 8/10
2. Natives: A faster song. It's catchy. 9/10
3. Up All Night: I like it. It's not my favorite and I feel like another song could have made a better comeback single but it's still a good song. 8/10
4. After Midnight: One of the best on the album. I love the lyrics and the sound of the instruments. 10/10
5. Snake Charmer: This is one of the few songs I dislike on the album really. The chorus is pretty good though. 6/10
6. Heart's All Gone Interlude: When I first heard I'm like "Wow it's like a piano version of Heart's All Gone" 8/10
7. Heart's All Gone: We've heard this one. It reminds me of the Dude Ranch/Enema era. 10/10
8. Wishing Well: The intro sounds like the guitar riff from Not Now. I like this song. It sounds like an Enema of the State song. 10/10
9. Kaleidascope: A decent song. The chorus is awesome. 9/10
10. This is Home: Another one of those songs with a great chorus. 10/10
11. MH 4.18/2011: This song is one of the best on the album. Everything about it rocks. 10/10
12. Love Is Dangerous: Another song that I dislike. It's not down right terrible but I will probably start skipping it in the future. 5/10
stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by stevie486 »

Biffy Clyro
Puzzle (2007)
Simon Neil, James Johnston & Ben Johnston

I my own opinion and my perspective I think whole album is great and has top production.

Best Songs:
Saturday Superhouse, Who’s Got A Match, A Whole Child Ago, Semi-Mental, Folding Stars and Machines.

Worst Songs:
I wouldn’t say there are any really, all really good songs.

5/5

Lostprophets
Weapons (2012)
Ian Watkins, Stuart Richardson, Jamie Oliver, Luke Johnson, Mike Lewis & Lee Gaze

Lostprophets haven’t failed to disappoint yet again. I feel they put their heart and soul into this new record as also with the last record “The Betrayed”. Good see these guys back again.

Best Songs:
Bring ‘Em Down, We Bring An Arsenal, A Song For Where I’m From and A Little Reminder That I’ll Never Forget.

Worst Songs:
I wouldn’t say there are any bad songs on album, I find the album is really easy to listen through.

4/5
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

Band: Goldfinger
Album: Open Your Eyes

I don't understand the low ratings this cd got. I think it is really good, great lyrics, riffs, and as well as some humor in it. I would suggest this to any Goldfinger fan or not. The key tracks are: Radio, January, FTN and Going Home. I had this cd for a while now and I still listen to it whenever I can. It says it comes with 2 bonus tracks and that is correct one is them doing just prank calls on people and the other is a really stupid and boring song about Wayne Gretzky, which is the worst on the cd.