The Gaslight Anthem

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Re: The Gaslight Anthem

Post by Druska »

Gregorovich wrote:I certainly will look the album over a few more times.

Personally, I do feel like the two rock n' rollers added significant depth to Screaming Bloody Murder. That's one of the reason why I loved Andros' instrumental EP so much - it was so musically diverse that even after a single listen, you could remember and easily identify each of the tracks.
You're talking about baby you don't wannna know and the other one i can't remember right??
Personally I love the Gaslight Anthem, I shall thank daniel and tns for that, and I was really pissed when i found out they were doing a show in barcelona a couple of weeks ago, but i didn't have the money nor the time to go.
ever since I got my license, handwritten has been played in my car non stop, hell even my father likes it :2cool4u:
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Re: The Gaslight Anthem - New Song!

Post by Dylan »

you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I don't know if this was in the CD booklet, but I just opened up my vinyl today and there's a write up by Nick Hornby that I think really sums up the nature of Handwritten very well. Just thought I'd share it.
  • "It would be stupid to try and tell you that the music you're listening to is like nothing you've ever heard before. The songs on the Gaslight Anthem's latest album are three or four minutes long, most of them, and they're played on loud electric guitars, and there are drums, and to be honest, if you haven't heard anything like this before, then you're probably listening to the wrong band anyway. What's great about the Gaslight Anthem is that there's an assumption you'll have heard something like this before - on the first Clash album, or on Born to Run, or the first Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers album, or maybe on a Little Richard record. That's what hooked me in. I've been listening to rock'n'roll for forty years, and so maybe I'm too old to be writing this stuff, but on the other hand, maybe I know what I'm talking about, too; believe me, I know a lot of stuff sounds tired and derivative, and makes you feel as though rock music is exhausted. It's hard to find new ways to tell stories and write songs; even clothes made out of meat won't do you much good if your music is 1980's dance-pop.

So you have two choices. The first is this: you do something nobody's ever done before. You play the nose-flute underwater, put it through a computer backwards, and get a black Japanese guy to rap over the top. Or you write a novel using only consonants. Or you make a movie which nobody can see. And that's all cool, but nobody will want to read your second novel written using only consonants, so then you'll have to write one using only vowels. And the second is this: you think, write, play, and sing as though you have a right to stand at the head of a long line of cool people - you recognise that the Clash and Little Richard got here first, but they're not around anymore, so you're going to carry on the tradition, and you're going to do it in your own voice, and with as much conviction and authenticity and truth as you can muster. And if you can pull that off, you'll be amazed at how fresh you can sound.

And the Gaslight Anthem sound fresh. Anyone who has ever been frustrated by anything - a girl, a boy, a self (especially that) - can listen to this music and feel understood and energised. (And if I feel energised, Lord knows what they're going to do to you.) And I'm beginning to suspect that they, like, read books, too. 'Great Expectations' - now there's a great title for a song. And here, 'Howl' - there's another one. Rockers who read. Songwriters who are not scared to go head-to-head with everyone else in rock's great tradition. The Gaslight Anthem are my kind of people."

Nick Hornby, April 2012
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Brought this thread back from the dead to share this video. New album coming August 19th. It's called "Get Hurt" and the album art sucks, haha. The song teaser sounds pretty heavy. I'm interested in seeing what different things they brought to the table for this album. As much as I enjoyed Handwritten, it still seemed pretty mellow compared to Sink or Swim (my favourite Gaslight album).
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

I WAS NOT READY FOR THIS.

That art sucks and I don't know how to feel about that teaser.

Follow me on Twitter!
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

The artwork is totally lame but I WAS SO SURPRISED LIKE NEW STUFF BRING IT ON I DON'T CARE I AM EXCITED
I forgive you for the lame art. Never knew there was a teaser. Hmmm.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

New song:
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

fuck my country

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

I like it.

Follow me on Twitter!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Jeremy Kill wrote:"It would be stupid to try and tell you that the music you're listening to is like nothing you've ever heard before. The songs on the Gaslight Anthem's latest album are three or four minutes long, most of them, and they're played on loud electric guitars, and there are drums, and to be honest, if you haven't heard anything like this before, then you're probably listening to the wrong band anyway. What's great about the Gaslight Anthem is that there's an assumption you'll have heard something like this before - on the first Clash album, or on Born to Run, or the first Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers album, or maybe on a Little Richard record. That's what hooked me in. I've been listening to rock'n'roll for forty years, and so maybe I'm too old to be writing this stuff, but on the other hand, maybe I know what I'm talking about, too; believe me, I know a lot of stuff sounds tired and derivative, and makes you feel as though rock music is exhausted. It's hard to find new ways to tell stories and write songs; even clothes made out of meat won't do you much good if your music is 1980's dance-pop.

So you have two choices. The first is this: you do something nobody's ever done before. You play the nose-flute underwater, put it through a computer backwards, and get a black Japanese guy to rap over the top. Or you write a novel using only consonants. Or you make a movie which nobody can see. And that's all cool, but nobody will want to read your second novel written using only consonants, so then you'll have to write one using only vowels. And the second is this: you think, write, play, and sing as though you have a right to stand at the head of a long line of cool people - you recognise that the Clash and Little Richard got here first, but they're not around anymore, so you're going to carry on the tradition, and you're going to do it in your own voice, and with as much conviction and authenticity and truth as you can muster. And if you can pull that off, you'll be amazed at how fresh you can sound.

And the Gaslight Anthem sound fresh. Anyone who has ever been frustrated by anything - a girl, a boy, a self (especially that) - can listen to this music and feel understood and energised. (And if I feel energised, Lord knows what they're going to do to you.) And I'm beginning to suspect that they, like, read books, too. 'Great Expectations' - now there's a great title for a song. And here, 'Howl' - there's another one. Rockers who read. Songwriters who are not scared to go head-to-head with everyone else in rock's great tradition. The Gaslight Anthem are my kind of people."
Most of this is complete nonsense.
fuck this signature nonsense
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

So when's the new album coming out ?
Jeremy Kill
Re:

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Gregorovich wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:"It would be stupid to try and tell you that the music you're listening to is like nothing you've ever heard before. The songs on the Gaslight Anthem's latest album are three or four minutes long, most of them, and they're played on loud electric guitars, and there are drums, and to be honest, if you haven't heard anything like this before, then you're probably listening to the wrong band anyway. What's great about the Gaslight Anthem is that there's an assumption you'll have heard something like this before - on the first Clash album, or on Born to Run, or the first Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers album, or maybe on a Little Richard record. That's what hooked me in. I've been listening to rock'n'roll for forty years, and so maybe I'm too old to be writing this stuff, but on the other hand, maybe I know what I'm talking about, too; believe me, I know a lot of stuff sounds tired and derivative, and makes you feel as though rock music is exhausted. It's hard to find new ways to tell stories and write songs; even clothes made out of meat won't do you much good if your music is 1980's dance-pop.

Most of this is complete nonsense.
It might be considering it's over two years old now.
Druska wrote:So when's the new album coming out ?
August 19, 2014
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re: Re:

Post by Gregorovich »

Jeremy Kill wrote: It might be considering it's over two years old now.
I mean more like its general attitude towards music.
fuck this signature nonsense
Jeremy Kill
Re: Re:

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Gregorovich wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote: It might be considering it's over two years old now.
I mean more like its general attitude towards music.
I just read a bit of Nick's Wikipedia page and he seems to get criticized on his traditionalistic views on music. It sounds like he prefers the old stuff and nothing too out of the ordinary.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Here is the premiere of the new single, "Get Hurt"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20140702

I like it. It has got a nice atmosphere and melody to it. I didn't expect it to be that slow though.
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Here is the premiere of the new single, "Get Hurt"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20140702

I like it. It has got a nice atmosphere and melody to it. I didn't expect it to be that slow though.
I haven't listened to it because I preorded the album on iTunes but this single isn't out yet #firstworldproblems