Open Your Eyes (Alternate Version)

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Open Your Eyes (Alternate Version)

Post by TomiT14 »

Deryck has released an alternate version of Open Your Eyes on his website!

(Seems like it doesn't work for me on Firefox, but Chrome is good to go!)

I can see why the solo changed. This solo doesn't have the same vibe as the rest of the song.
Also funny how Deryck says he has a pile of unreleased stuff, yet when I asked him about it a while ago he said he doesn't have much of them left anymore. Luckily he proved it otherwise! :glad:
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

It might be because I'm used to the old version, or should I say cd version? I agree this solo feels out of place here
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Re: Open Your Eyes (Alternate Version)

Post by HugoDisasters »

I love how obviously raw the mix sounds like. It actually makes the final Open Your Eyes version seem over processed.

I can't believe that the March of the dogs solo actually were that solo! The songs are so different to me >_<!

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

For some reason Open Your Eyes has always been one of my least favourite Sum 41 songs. The demo helped me see this song in a different light, although I feel the solo definitely fits March of the Dogs better. Had they kept the original solo in Open Your Eyes, however, maybe I'd have enjoyed it more.

Once again, I hope Deryck keeps posting these kinds of updates, or better yet, demos/parts of new Sum 41 songs!
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Is fucking amazing dude, I love this demo the raw mix it's so perfect, and the solo part from March Of The Dogs, really this is a good demo. I hope he keep posting more old/new Sum 41 demos, we need this kind of stuff.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:For some reason Open Your Eyes has always been one of my least favourite Sum 41 songs.
It's funny. It was always one of my favourite sum 41 songs. Don't know what it is though...something about the melody of the chorus.

Anyway the demo is awesome. I need more!!!
paeschli
First name: Patrick

Post by paeschli »

TomiT14 wrote:I can see why the solo changed. This solo doesn't have the same vibe as the rest of the song.
Also funny how Deryck says he has a pile of unreleased stuff, yet when I asked him about it a while ago he said he doesn't have much of them left anymore. Luckily he proved it otherwise! :glad:
Can't agree more, this solo almost feels out of place in this one. But I like this 'raw' mix. Now I understand what Deryck means when he says he is using ideas from previous albums. ^^

Remember this from 2012?
Deryck Whibley wrote:I’ve recently been remixing DOES THIS LOOK INFECTED for a 10 year anniversary re-release. I was never very happy with the way that record sounded. I knew there was more excitement and heaviness in that record that didn’t come through on the final mixes. So once we figure out the business side of it I would love to put that out as soon as possible with a bunch of extra shit, like photos, demos, documentary, etc.
So maybe more demos are coming! :glad:

By the way, can I post a download link of the song in the media section or isn't that allowed due to copyright infringement or something like that?
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by HugoDisasters »

paeschli wrote:
Remember this from 2012?
Deryck Whibley wrote:I’ve recently been remixing DOES THIS LOOK INFECTED for a 10 year anniversary re-release. I was never very happy with the way that record sounded. I knew there was more excitement and heaviness in that record that didn’t come through on the final mixes. So once we figure out the business side of it I would love to put that out as soon as possible with a bunch of extra shit, like photos, demos, documentary, etc.
Kinda late for a 10 year anniversary re-release. It's been 12 years already LOL.
Well we know what soon means in Sum 41 terminology :winkwink:

paeschli wrote: By the way, can I post a download link of the song in the media section or isn't that allowed due to copyright infringement or something like that?
That should be allowed since the file is publicly available on Deryck's site, and because it technically gets copied to every computer it's being played back on.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Ardi41 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:For some reason Open Your Eyes has always been one of my least favourite Sum 41 songs.
It's funny. It was always one of my favourite sum 41 songs. Don't know what it is though...something about the melody of the chorus.
I can agree with that. The chorus is my favourite part of that song too.
paeschli wrote:Remember this from 2012?
Wow, I'm not sure what I was doing when this was originally posted, but I had gotten super excited when I scrolled through and read a portion of this post. Too bad it's from 2012... A remixed Does This Look Infected would be amazing. I agree with Deryck about the sound of that album. The instruments just didn't sound "authentic" and almost too polished. Fingers crossed this is still in the works and hasn't been put on the back burner indefinitely.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Open Your Eyes is one of my top tracks from Chuck. It's definitely a better fit for March of the Dogs than it is here. As mentioned, it doesn't suit the rest of the song, as if it's seemingly out of place. It's cool how we got some unreleased stuff seeing as tomorrow marks 10 years since this album was released.

And someone needs to remind Deryck about remixing DTLI again. I need it, but more so all the "extra shit".
maistoner41
First name: Maitane
Instrument 2: Voice
Twitter: maistoner27

Post by maistoner41 »

I have to say I love that version! I like a lot that song so :3 I love both!
We won't be bought and sold, just like you!
I'm a walking disaster.