Deryck Whibley Says Iggy Pop Is Supporting His Recovery

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Deryck Whibley Says Iggy Pop Is Supporting His Recovery

Post by HugoDisasters »

Ultimate Guitar wrote: Sum 41's Deryck Whibley has said that Iggy Pop is helping him as he recovers from an alcohol related incident that left him in a coma for a week.

Whibley was admitted to hospital earlier this year after his liver and kidneys collapsed as a result of years of heavy drinking. The singer is now out of hospital and recovering at home with the help of a number of close musical friends.

Speaking to Kerrang! (via NME), Whibley says: "Now I'm sober, I don't get calls from certain people that I used to... The drinking friends. Now I'm the bum-out to them. Who wants to invite the sober guy to the party? Y'know who has been incredibly supportive? Iggy Pop. He had a lot of great advice; he's been through it all. We've been friends for years."

"Same for Tommy Lee from Motley Crue. He told me what to expect from people, that not everyone will understand. Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum from Guns N' Roses have been great too. We go out for coffee and talk about sh-t."

Earlier this year Whibley said that if he has one drink, he will die. "I've been very sick in the hospital for a month and was pretty sick for a few weeks leading up to my trip to the hospital," he wrote in a letter to fans. "The reason I got so sick is from all the hard boozing I've been doing over the years. It finally caught up to me. I was drinking hard every day," he wrote, explaining that his fiancee rushed him to hospital after his collapse and he was put in an intensive care unit.
Source: Ultimate Guitar

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
HandleThis
First name: Udit
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by HandleThis »

Good to hear it. Hope he's good again and makes some cool music soon.

I can't sit back and wonder why.
It took so long for this to die.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 80-600.jpg[/imgwidth]
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

I'm glad to see that he's found some supportive guys to help him through this, definitely easier than going alone.