Interview with Deryck (New)

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Re: Interview with Deryck (New)

Post by SumGeek »

I have to say, I had a smile on my face while listening to this interview. It's so good to hear from Deryck. The interview I enjoyed a lot. We got some info regarding a drummer, which that's always good to hear the process for the next album is moving along. Overall, I enjoyed just Deryck having fun and I gotta say those voicemail messages and the Tre Cool & Mike Dirnt story I had a laugh at! Also, Deryck talking about 'Pieces' at the end was nice as it happens to be my favorite Sum 41 song. Although I disagree with Deryck as we all enjoy his involvement with Sum 41 and believe in his talent, I have to say I agree that there's definitely something about that song.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Such a lovely interview.
I'm actually surprised that there is actually things happening around SUM 41.
I didn't expect anything really, so this was certainly something special to me.

Now I'm pretty damn curious about who the new drummer is/will be !

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Sickore
Billy Spleen
First name: Justyna
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: FiFty_B
Twitter: j_sickore

Post by Sickore »

I saw a tweet about that interview and I thought that it's a joke, so I'm pretty much happy that TNS is confirming it as a true info. A vision of hearing some new material from Sum 41 one day is always a nice thing.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Re:

Post by fergal41 »

carr wrote:I wish he would stop with acting out the tired rock star cliche (bottles of Jack).
So true.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Nice ! I gotta say that's probably one of my fav Deryck interviews so far (maybe it's just cause it's the only one in a long time).

And he watches House of cards! how cool is that?
maistoner41
First name: Maitane
Instrument 2: Voice
Twitter: maistoner27

Re:

Post by maistoner41 »

Ardi41 wrote:Nice ! I gotta say that's probably one of my fav Deryck interviews so far (maybe it's just cause it's the only one in a long time).

And he watches House of cards! how cool is that?
It's one of my favourites too. He seems to be so happy, and it's strange to me because he has always been a little bit rude with the media. So I think it's a good new :D can't wait to see the new drummer! I will miss Stevo, though :(
We won't be bought and sold, just like you!
I'm a walking disaster.
Swbpz
First name: Sheïma
Last.fm Username: Swbpz
Twitter: Swbpz

Post by Swbpz »

carr wrote:Well, if he didn't care about marketing he wouldn't do the interview in the first place.
In my opinion, he did the interview for us, not for the marketing and everything else.
maistoner41

Post by maistoner41 »

Swbpz wrote:
carr wrote:Well, if he didn't care about marketing he wouldn't do the interview in the first place.
In my opinion, he did the interview for us, not for the marketing and everything else.
I agree with you. It's quite strange because I've always thought that Deryck doesn't care about fans.
I'm a walking disaster.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

maistoner41 wrote: I've always thought that Deryck doesn't care about fans.
What made you think that ? It's the exact opposite.. Dude's working his ass off for the sole purpose of pleasing his fans.
maistoner41

Post by maistoner41 »

Ardi41 wrote:
What made you think that ? It's the exact opposite.. Dude's working his ass off for the sole purpose of pleasing his fans.
I don't know...I mean, there have been times that he has been so rude with media...and when I saw him here in Bilbao, he was a little bit like "leave me alone". So since that moment I think that, but now he shows that no, he really cares. So I've changed my mind :D
I'm a walking disaster.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Haha, Deryck definitely sounds like he's inebriated just by the way he tells his stories and they kind of get tangential. It's good to hear things are moving forward with the band and that a new record is in the works.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

Ardi41 wrote:
This!
maistoner41

Post by maistoner41 »

sprinks41 wrote:
Ardi41 wrote:
This!
What? what do you mean?
I'm a walking disaster.
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

maistoner41 wrote:
sprinks41 wrote:
Ardi41 wrote:
This!
What? what do you mean?
I mean it is exactly what Ardi said. Deryck loves the fans more than anything. He loves meeting them, talking with them, and communicating with them. If he didn't, he wouldn't have posted on his Facebook page that he wanted fans to give him their numbers so he could surprise them with a phone call.

Deryck may SEEM like he doesn't care about the fans but that is only because he is just an extremely shy person.
maistoner41

Post by maistoner41 »

sprinks41 wrote:
maistoner41 wrote:
sprinks41 wrote:
Ardi41 wrote:
This!
What? what do you mean?
I mean it is exactly what Ardi said. Deryck loves the fans more than anything. He loves meeting them, talking with them, and communicating with them. If he didn't, he wouldn't have posted on his Facebook page that he wanted fans to give him their numbers so he could surprise them with a phone call.

Deryck may SEEM like he doesn't care about the fans but that is only because he is just an extremely shy person.
Yep, I've realised when I have met him better. Now I admire him so much, well, now and always, but now I admire him so much more. When I saw him in the facebook page calling his fans...that touched my heart, really. I think no one does that for his fans, so. Don't get me wrong, I love Deryck, REALLY MUCH. But some years ago I used to think that. Now I don't ;)
I'm a walking disaster.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

carr wrote:
Mitchell wrote:
carr wrote: I just don't understand Deryck's marketing concept. He calls up a radio station for promo but the only people listening to that are the people who happen to be listening that very moment.

That's what the Sum 41 twitter account, the Sum 41 facebook account and Deryck's facebook account are for: promo. Why no mention of it? It's not that Deryck/the band are constantly in the news so they should use their promo opportunities.
Deryck doesn't care about marketing.
Also, they did mention it on FB/ twitter..
Thanks. I only looked at his personal facebook account.

Well, if he didn't care about marketing he wouldn't do the interview in the first place.
There's a difference between marketing and letting your fans know you're alive. Plus if he's close friends with the guy he's doing him a favour by being on his show. He's more marketing for 89x than Sum 41.
fuck this signature nonsense
carr

Post by carr »

Gregorovich wrote:
carr wrote:
Mitchell wrote:
carr wrote: I just don't understand Deryck's marketing concept. He calls up a radio station for promo but the only people listening to that are the people who happen to be listening that very moment.

That's what the Sum 41 twitter account, the Sum 41 facebook account and Deryck's facebook account are for: promo. Why no mention of it? It's not that Deryck/the band are constantly in the news so they should use their promo opportunities.

Well, if he didn't care about marketing he wouldn't do the interview in the first place.
There's a difference between marketing and letting your fans know you're alive. Plus if he's close friends with the guy he's doing him a favour by being on his show. He's more marketing for 89x than Sum 41.
Help! I though R meant reply not report! I didn't mean to report this post!!
carr

Post by carr »

Gregorovich wrote:
carr wrote:
Mitchell wrote:

This opens up an interesting discussion about something I'd like to know about more.

I believe that the band doesn't exist in the current public consciousness/mainstream media at all but that is of little importance because they have a sufficiently large fan base that allow them to still successfully continue.

Is this accurate?

How much airplay do they have? Royalties? How many records do they sell? Tickets do they move? What kind of venues do they play? What is their average tour revenue? etc.?
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

carr wrote:How much airplay do they have? Royalties? How many records do they sell? Tickets do they move? What kind of venues do they play? What is their average tour revenue? etc.?
This modern rock station in my city plays Sum 41 pretty much every day. The only problem is that it's only Fat Lip or In Too Deep. Sometimes Still Waiting. Heh.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

carr wrote: Is this accurate?
Yes.

Royalties, sales and airplay don't mean shit these days, bands thrive off live shows and Sum 41 happens to play sold out shows a majority of the time they play shows.