New album already in 2013?

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Tomi, i say this in the most respectful way possible; you are the biggest sum 41 fanboy ever.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Re:

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

Double feckin' post. My condolences.
Last edited by ÜBERCUNT on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?

Re: Re:

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

TomiT14 wrote:What's with all the negativity?

It seems that the most of you ignore the fact that THERE'S GOING TO BE A NEW FUCKING ALBUM. Instead you're looking for the day you can say "I told you so". Party pooper much?

I'm not saying that the end of 2013 is the most realistic estimation ever. But it's an estimation! And very optimistic one, which means Deryck is really optimistic about the stuff he has written. Isn't THAT exciting?

As a Sum 41 fan, it should be no biggie to ignore the timetables by now. Would you get more excited if they announced that the new album will come out at the end of 2015 instead?

I'm not saying you should blindly trust that the end of 2013 is the definite release date. I'm saying don't make so big of a deal out of it. Concentrate on the positives, WE'RE GETTING AN ALBUM! GET EXCITED!
We new a new album was in the works since like October. SBM phase is over. 2013 starts the next album chapter. I found this "news" kind of ridiculous, there's not a chance in hell that an album can be finished by the end of the year and still be compared to SBM. Give it time Sums. Give it time. Take a year or two off the tours. I could wait till 2015.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

cladam41 wrote:blah blah blah.

Half Hour of Power released at the end of June 2000, All Killer released the beginning of May 2001 ... 10 months and 10 days apart to be exact. Hmm, what album had the biggest hits of their career? All Killer No Filler.

There's absolutely no correlation between time between records and quality of the music. Just because Green Day shit out 3 bad albums quickly has no effect on any other band. Please stop acting like you know everything and let people be excited if they want to be. If they write a record and its out at the end of the year- awesome.. if it takes them 3 years- fantastic. We're all just speculating, you don't need to go and call people idiots for no reason.

I remember being 14, and thinking I knew everything, but I truly didnt (still dont). so please stop.
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:
cladam41 wrote:blah blah blah.

Half Hour of Power released at the end of June 2000, All Killer released the beginning of May 2001 ... 10 months and 10 days apart to be exact. Hmm, what album had the biggest hits of their career? All Killer No Filler.

There's absolutely no correlation between time between records and quality of the music. Just because Green Day shit out 3 bad albums quickly has no effect on any other band. Please stop acting like you know everything and let people be excited if they want to be. If they write a record and its out at the end of the year- awesome.. if it takes them 3 years- fantastic. We're all just speculating, you don't need to go and call people idiots for no reason.

I remember being 14, and thinking I knew everything, but I truly didnt (still dont). so please stop.
I'm not 14.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: New album already in 2013?

Post by TomiT14 »

Let's see. Cleveland, Cone's song, a demo song, 12-minute, SBM the album, SBM video, BIME-video, BIME acoustic, something else I missed?

So since 2007 we've learned that the word "soon" is a joke and that it doesn't matter what date we're given, it will always change. Same old story everytime.

Now we've got yet another estimation, and you're all "that can't be happening!"
OH REALLY? You came up with that all by yourself? Good boy, Captain Obvious!

All I meant was that I'm too tired of over-analyzing the timetables that are meant to be broken. If that makes me a fanboy then whatever.

I'm looking past the trees to see the forest here. If Deryck really thinks that the album could be ready by the end of the year, to me it sounds like he already has some very potential ideas about the upcoming album. Who knows if we'll even get an early pre-studio update already this Summer? A thought of that makes me excited to wait for this album.

Forgive me for getting excited from a small piece of news. But that's what being a fan is about, no?
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

cladam41 wrote:I'm not 14.
hyperbole.
TomiT14 wrote: Forgive me for getting excited from a small piece of news. But that's what being a fan is about, no?
I'm fucking excited! Even if it comes out in 2021 i'll still be stoked.
Queso Man
King of Contradiction
First name: Bryant
360 Gamer Tag: Queso Man
Twitter: Queso_Man

Post by Queso Man »

All I got from that interview was that there was no quote from Deryck saying 2013. He probably just answered one of their questions saying "yeah, sure" and didn't mean it was coming out this year, just that he was starting work on it.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Deleted by TomiT14, Reason: WTF?? - Haha.

Good news to hear.
[donate][/donate]
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

why the heck are some people on here so concerned about the freaking date ? It's not about the exact release date, the excitment on here is more about the fact that the new album is coming and the fact that deryck thinks a 2013 release could be possible even if that is not the case, it shows atleast that there is something to hope and wait for...

(sorry for my lack of english orthography on this post I can't think straight at the moment :holyshit: )
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Came here to post this, but got beat to it!

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this interview: very lengthy and while some things were known to us (For example, where Deryck mentioned the band hates the process of recording and prefer to play live), there was some interesting things said by Deryck that was sort of new info for us such as this,
“I haven’t come up with a direction yet. It’s in the back of my mind. I do have a couple of things, a couple of guitar riffs that I have been working on, but not full songs. I do think it will be an evolution from the last record. I’d like to keep it heavier and darker like that one, but I would also like to go bigger and different and add some new instruments. I don’t know exactly what, but I do want to change some things up.”
As we have heard before, the next album will be evolving from SBM, in terms of the darker sound, that is something I like, and this whole "adding some new instruments" is intriguing, I'm sure whatever they are, they'll only add to greatness.

As for us getting a new album by the end of 2013, I think it's more likely that the band will finish up the album by then or just be on finishing touches into 2014, and then early 2014 could be the year of the release for this one. While all of this got me even more excited for an upcoming Sum 41 album, I just want them to not rush things, let them use the same recording process with SBM; Having a comfortable atmosphere, enjoying their lives while creating this album, not the whole, getting a delayed album due to a label, ect, ect.

2013 is already a good year for The Sums, and I look forward to what's to come!
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

TomiT14 wrote: Forgive me for getting excited from a small piece of news. But that's what being a fan is about, no?
I don't think there is anyone who isn't excited about the possibility of getting a new album. We're just trying to stay realistic, especially since Deryck isn't directly quoted in saying that one is coming this year.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Why do people think it's impossible write/record a good album in 7-9 months? Some of the greatest albums ever are written by the artist in a couple days-a week then recorded for a month, lyrics literally written while recording sometimes... There's no saying Sum 41 couldn't do that, and they could release it pretty quickly without a label. Could literally be mastered one day and out the next, instead of a 2 month marketing gap.

Having said that, I highly doubt it'll be out this year, but hopefully this will make the forum a little more active!
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Re:

Post by SumGeek »

Tyler. wrote:Why do people think it's impossible write/record a good album in 7-9 months? Some of the greatest albums ever are written by the artist in a couple days-a week then recorded for a month, lyrics literally written while recording sometimes... There's no saying Sum 41 couldn't do that, and they could release it pretty quickly without a label. Could literally be mastered one day and out the next, instead of a 2 month marketing gap.

Having said that, I highly doubt it'll be out this year, but hopefully this will make the forum a little more active!
Well, Sum 41 are capable of writing an album and releasing them rather quickly, yes, as AKNF was released in 2001, and then DTLI the following year in 2002. I just think now that they're without a label, and given the recording process of SBM, I think they'll work on the album, but still have time to do other things in their lives, as Deryck stated in that interview, how that made it easier for him to write.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Re:

Post by HugoDisasters »

TomiT14 wrote:What's with all the negativity?

It seems that the most of you ignore the fact that THERE'S GOING TO BE A NEW FUCKING ALBUM. Instead you're looking for the day you can say "I told you so". Party pooper much?

I'm not saying that the end of 2013 is the most realistic estimation ever. But it's an estimation! And very optimistic one, which means Deryck is really optimistic about the stuff he has written. Isn't THAT exciting?

As a Sum 41 fan, it should be no biggie to ignore the timetables by now. Would you get more excited if they announced that the new album will come out at the end of 2015 instead?

I'm not saying you should blindly trust that the end of 2013 is the definite release date. I'm saying don't make so big of a deal out of it. Concentrate on the positives, WE'RE GETTING AN ALBUM! GET EXCITED!
+1

It's time to put on the foil hats.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Sickore
Billy Spleen
First name: Justyna
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: FiFty_B
Twitter: j_sickore

Post by Sickore »

Easy people! Deryck didn't say that they will realse new album in 2013 for sure, so timetable isn't the most important thing right know. I'm excited because now we know that they certainly going to write a new record in near future and it is a fantastic news. We may be more optimistic that maybe we won't be waiting till 2015 and it sounds good, isn't it? Of course I will wait if there will be such a need, but I would speculate about early 2014. Anyway, fingers crossed!

Thank you Deryck for such a good news!
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

TomiT14 wrote:Fuck all you pessimists! :glad:
Exactly! I'm so excited about it! And I hope there will be studio updates just like the last time because I was so thrilled by every sound I heard on them! There was so much brilliant material to hear. Material that never made it to the album.
TomiT14 wrote:Let's see. Cleveland, Cone's song, a demo song, 12-minute, SBM the album, SBM video, BIME-video, BIME acoustic, something else I missed?

So since 2007 we've learned that the word "soon" is a joke and that it doesn't matter what date we're given, it will always change. Same old story everytime.

Now we've got yet another estimation, and you're all "that can't be happening!"
OH REALLY? You came up with that all by yourself? Good boy, Captain Obvious!

All I meant was that I'm too tired of over-analyzing the timetables that are meant to be broken. If that makes me a fanboy then whatever.

I'm looking past the trees to see the forest here. If Deryck really thinks that the album could be ready by the end of the year, to me it sounds like he already has some very potential ideas about the upcoming album. Who knows if we'll even get an early pre-studio update already this Summer? A thought of that makes me excited to wait for this album.

Forgive me for getting excited from a small piece of news. But that's what being a fan is about, no?
beautiful. ;)
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I know it doesn't seem plausible to have a new album by the end of the year, but it doesn't take Deryck a long time to actually write the song. The creativity just comes in spurts throughout the days. Keep in mind the guy was newly divorced during the writing process of Screaming Bloody Murder. Maybe he just didn't have the drive to write as much because he was depressed and only wrote when the ideas came to him. Remember how he said it only took him 10 minutes to write A Dark Road Out of Hell? Or 10 minutes to write Baby You Don't Wanna Know and Time for You to Go? He's in a different state of mind now, who knows, maybe the ideas will come faster? I wasn't there, but you realize half of Screaming Bloody Murder was done by 2009 right? They had enough for an EP but kept going for an album. It didn't take Deryck 3 or 4 years to "write" the album, it took him probably less than a week if he had to punch in a time card every creative moment he had. Not to mention the songs that didn't make the album.

Also when he says a new record by the end of 2013, maybe he doesn't mean mixed and mastered, ready to sell. Maybe he just means he'll have enough songs written by that time for a new record?

I'm feeling optimistic. I'm hoping to hear demo clips in studio updates by December.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I agree, don't care about the date. It's just good to hear they think and talk about new album. :)
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I know it doesn't seem plausible to have a new album by the end of the year, but it doesn't take Deryck a long time to actually write the song. The creativity just comes in spurts throughout the days. Keep in mind the guy was newly divorced during the writing process of Screaming Bloody Murder. Maybe he just didn't have the drive to write as much because he was depressed and only wrote when the ideas came to him. Remember how he said it only took him 10 minutes to write A Dark Road Out of Hell? Or 10 minutes to write Baby You Don't Wanna Know and Time for You to Go? He's in a different state of mind now, who knows, maybe the ideas will come faster? I wasn't there, but you realize half of Screaming Bloody Murder was done by 2009 right? They had enough for an EP but kept going for an album. It didn't take Deryck 3 or 4 years to "write" the album, it took him probably less than a week if he had to punch in a time card every creative moment he had. Not to mention the songs that didn't make the album.

Also when he says a new record by the end of 2013, maybe he doesn't mean mixed and mastered, ready to sell. Maybe he just means he'll have enough songs written by that time for a new record?

I'm feeling optimistic. I'm hoping to hear demo clips in studio updates by December.
THEY HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED!!! Not one song! Deryck just said he wrote some riffs. No way 2013. Studio Updates in 2014. Album mid 2015. Chill your butts guys, we still got a while.