Moderator: Jeremy Kill

samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

13 Voices Reviews

Post by samueeL »

Last edited by samueeL on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
olipower
Re: 13 Voices Reviews

Post by olipower »

Here is an other quick one, its as interview with Cone (in french at 1st, but in english after), but at then end you can there is a small review of the album:

http://www.daily-rock.ca/entrevue-avec- ... in-sum-41/

Having received the link to listen to their new album after the interview, all I can say is that, yes it sounds like Sum 41 but something is different. Five years after their last album – Screaming Bloody Murder (2011) – they have grown up, gone through rough times and that new album is sweating from all this pain. The lyrics are deeper, the words are darker, the sound is harsher. Be ready for Sum 41, The Return!
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Exciting review, now I'm pumped up! :devious:
I'm really looking forward to
Spoiler: show
the rapping part in "The Fall and the Rise" and it seems one of the sample Deryck showed us (my favourite) is gonna be "Twisted by Design", although I heard out different lyric.
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

“They say the fire in your heart is gone, but I say it’s really only just begun, and all alone you know that I’m, twisted by design.”
Sounds a little familiar don't you think? :winkwink:
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Iam The Ghost wrote:Exciting review, now I'm pumped up! :devious:
I'm really looking forward to
the rapping part in "The Fall and the Rise" and it seems one of the sample Deryck showed us (my favourite) is gonna be "Twisted by Design", although I heard out different lyric.
This is the track that caught my attention most by those descriptions! Before when the tracklisting was first released, I thought "Twisted by Design" would still remain my most intrigued, but The Fall and the Rise takes its spot, followed by the mentioned "Twisted by Design", and "God Save Us All (Death to POP)". Not long now!
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Yummie:
Goddamn I'm Dead Again then goes into a massive face melting Metallica-esque duelling guitar solo. But wait there’s more, this solo lasts for over one minute featuring high pitched partnered harmonies presumably by Baksh and Thacker.
Jables
Chuck
First name: Jables
360 Gamer Tag: The Sinful Baby
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Bouzouki

Post by Jables »

So bloody excited (even more so than before), although that first review confused me a little, it basically sucked the albums dick for the most part, then only gave it 3.5/5.
Plus as has now become apparent, Cone likes Brian Fallon, which for some reason makes me incredibly pleased.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

samueeL wrote:Decided to make own topic for the reviews so nobody gets spoiled by accident or anything like that. I'll try to update the first post with all the reviews.

The Upside News (Track by track):
https://theupsidenews.com/2016/09/20/ne ... 13-voices/
I kind of wish I hadn't read this because now I'm extremely curious, but on the bright side it won't be long now until the album drops. :smile:
Sounds like the album will be a more focused "Screaming Bloody Murder" as the most straightforward songs appear to be the ones we've already heard (Fake My Own Death and War). Every other songs described seems to experiment with something or have some type of build-up. I'm quite intrigued by the rapping supposedly on The Rise and the Fall, I just hope it fits well with the rest of the album.
sum41-freak
Billy Spleen
First name: Andy

Post by sum41-freak »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUoD_1py36g

Watch at 1.00.00

Could that be the Solo from Goddamn I’m Dead Again? I hope thats`s it. It sounds great, very cool.

I remember befor SBM was released they used the middle part from Back where we Belong, during a live show.
samueeL
Finnish Flash

Post by samueeL »

sum41-freak wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUoD_1py36g

Watch at 1.00.00

Could that be the Solo from Goddamn I’m Dead Again? I hope thats`s it. It sounds great, very cool.

I remember befor SBM was released they used the middle part from Back where we Belong, during a live show.
Probably not. Two reasons:
1) At least first part of that solo was already played back in 2012
2) I doubt they'd use the same chord progression than We Will Rock you so that the solo notes fit the chords.

I guess Dave's part could be but somehow I doubt it. We'll see, always possible!
Imderrickjay
First name: Derrick

Post by Imderrickjay »

Just noticed this
the twisted by design review he mentions the lyrics from the preview we got back at christmas
Also I'm a big fan and read a lot here but don't post much haha
sum41-freak
Billy Spleen
First name: Andy

Post by sum41-freak »

OK, we will see.

The review was deleted.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

sum41-freak wrote:OK, we will see.

The review was deleted.
Good thing I've never closed the tab as I've been reading it everyday:
It’s 2016, Sum 41 have not written an album since Screaming Bloody Murder in 2011. Lead singer, Deryck Whibley managed to recover from liver and kidney failure. Original drummer and long term friend and band member, Steve Jocz has parted ways with the band. Dave “Brownsound” Baksh has returned after leaving the band in 2006.

Sum 41 is now a 5-piece for the first time since formation in 1996, consisting of Deryck Whibley (vocals/rhythm guitarist), Dave Baksh (lead guitarist), Tom Thacker (lead guitarist number 2), Jason “Cone” McCaslin (bass) and new drummer, Frank Zummo. And would you believe that after all these lineup changes and life altering events, Sum 41 can and has produced a really solid album.

sum 41 13 voices album review

‘A Murder Of Crows (You’re All Dead To Me)’ is the intro to the album. It has a slow pace which builds to violins and a progressive drum beat comparable to the intro of a suspenseful film. There’s a mystery throughout this introduction to what direction Sum 41 are going to take and how will this new Sum 41 in 2016 sound? The whole song has a slow tempo and mainly sets up the next song.

‘Goddamn I’m Dead Again’ kicks off into a guitar and vocal combination that is straight away reminiscent of Chuck. The first half of the song has everything you expect from a Sum 41 song, a catchy verse, fast paced chorus, heavy punk guitars in the intro and a mini guitar solo to split up verses. As you think it comes to the end of the song there’s a three-second pause. This then goes into a massive face melting Metallica-esque duelling guitar solo. But wait there’s more, this solo lasts for over one minute featuring high pitched partnered harmonies presumably by Baksh and Thacker. The last minute of this song is experimental, completely different and f#$king amazing. Perhaps the best song on the album for that second half alone.

‘Fake My Own Death’ was a great choice for first single. It has just enough experimentation to tease fans with the new Sum 41, but is still nostalgic and relatable enough to not worry anyone.

‘Breaking The Chain’ should have been the second single instead of ‘War’. It’s a slow paced soft song, which makes use and fully introduces violins to the Sum 41 sound. It has a catchy, easy chorus that is eerily familiar to Screaming Bloody Murder, so much so, the first half sounds like a song that didn’t make the cut for the album. However, the second half sounds like the band got together and remixed it with the new Sum 41 style. It eventually picks up into another high pitched melodic riff that fades out back into the minimalist, soft verse. Only to go into one final chorus that is heavier and progressively more impactful than the choruses before. The final twenty seconds are joined by a guitar that has a Linkin Park epic feel to it, these small pieces are easily the standout of the album and are such a tiny adjustment that make a gigantic impact.

‘There Will Be Blood’ screams Underclass Hero immediately. It has a hauntingly themed verse that is accompanied by eerie ‘la la las’ which goes into a chorus shouting “we’ll take the souls of the littles ones, and that might be you!” It sounds familiar and seems to be a nod to ‘The Jester’ on Underclass Hero. This song seems to give a Halloween theme and a sinister sound, which works really well and is a fun foot tapping song.

‘13 Voices’ is another song with a slow progressive instrumental build that moves into one of the biggest and best riffs of the album. This pace slows back down to Deryck’s verse that sounds similar to the previous title track ‘Screaming Bloody Murder’ from the last album. The vocals use a carnival/circus effect similar to how one would imagine a man shouting into a megaphone saying “ladies and gentleman step right up”. The chorus is catchy and a classic Sum 41, however, the real standout is the first instrumental minute.

‘War’, why did they use this song as the second single? Perhaps because it’s a bit more radio friendly? Regardless, it’s a good song with an amazing guitar riff that gives more Linkin Park vibes. This song follows the progressive pattern of the album and once again builds to the last minute of the song that is full of new guitar sounds and a generic pleasure inducing riff. Compared to the rest of the album and previous soft Sum 41 songs this isn’t a standout.

‘God Save Us All (Death To POP)’ has a distinctive sound compared to the rest of the album. It sounds like Sum 41 but can’t be pinpointed to a previous album. Deryck’s vocals in the chorus are accompanied by another nu metal lead guitar riff. Another instrumental highlight is the chunky metal bridge out of the half-way point’s chorus. There’s something about these guitar tones within the album that add such a new influence to the album that somehow gives a nostalgic sound from the mid-2000’s from different bands, yet is new and modernised within Sum 41.

‘The Fall And The Rise’ gives a throwback to early Sum 41 with Deryck rapping in the verses. It’s nice to hear such an old school influence from the band being morphed into their modern day sound. The song continues with a chorus that is unfortunately not rapped, but continues with this epic and monumental tone with vocals and guitar.

‘Twisted By Design’ is the final song/outro to the album. It starts off slow and as always with Deryck it has lyrical depth and emotion. This slowly blossoms into an emotionally heavy chorus with the hauntingly relevant lyrics, “They say the fire in your heart is gone, but I say it’s really only just begun, and all alone you know that I’m, twisted by design.” This seems to be Deryck’s most emotional and personal song heard in a long time. It’s a beautiful song to end the album on and if Sum 41 never wrote another album, it would be a perfect end.

Sum 41’s new album, 13 Voices is a hybrid version of Chuck, Underclass Hero and Screaming Bloody Murder. For fans who wanted All Killer No Filler 2.0, this album isn’t for you. The band has taken Screaming Bloody Murder and polished out the imperfections and used nostalgic influences to add that familiar Sum 41 stamp to create something new. The guitar work is new and experimental. The band has benefited from having their self-proclaimed two lead guitarists, Baksh and Thacker, leaving Deryck to focus on the rhythm. The band has matured and brought a new element to their sound with this now 5-piece band. It may not be their best album ever, but it may go down as, Chuck 2.0.

3.5/5

Highlights: Goddamn I’m Dead Again, Twisted By Design, There Will Be Blood, 13 Voices.
samueeL
Finnish Flash

Post by samueeL »

Review copy stream came out 2 days ago. I wonder when reviewers can post their reviews? A week from now? Days before release date?

I think if some reviewer wanted to leak the album it would have happened by now so it seems like retail leak is the next choice. Screaming Bloody Murder didn't basically leak at all but I don't remember when the reviews came out for that...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

samueeL wrote:Review copy stream came out 2 days ago. I wonder when reviewers can post their reviews? A week from now? Days before release date?
I'm thinking a few days to a week? Seems strange to send out reviews on an album that was still a little over two weeks away, and a very detailed one at that. I think the same guy made a post on Reddit about it, but that post also got deleted.

I'm just going by my experience when people do movie reviews, it's usually just a couple days before the movie is released to the general public.
The Jester
First name: Rick

Post by The Jester »

I don't know how the thing with the reviews normally goes. I know Alter Bridge, who are releasing on the same day, have been posting the occasional review on their fb page for a week or so
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

It's completely different from album to album, and entirely depends on the label's policy. Sometimes it'll be months in advance, sometimes reviews will be embargoed until release. Generally speaking, review copies are distributed maybe a month before release and reviews are embargoed for two weeks or so.
fuck this signature nonsense
Lars
All Killer No Filler

Post by Lars »

Not really a review but a cool interview with Dave. Decided to post it here because there's some info on Goddamn I'm Dead Again that some of you might not want to read. So: spoilers.

http://www.aux.tv/2016/09/we-spoke-to-d ... -comeback/
dff_punk
Bunkface
Instrument 2: vocals
Last.fm Username: dff_punk
Twitter: dff_punk

Post by dff_punk »

Ok, so now that we know that the first December snippet was
Twisted By Design
...which one do you think this one might be?
I deliberately didn't read all the song descriptions from the review(only some), to be a bit surprised when listening to it, but let's spoil this one! :)
God Bless Your Soul = God Save Us All? :)
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros

Post by Andros »

dff_punk wrote:Ok, so now that we know that the first December snippet was
Twisted By Design
...which one do you think this one might be?
I deliberately didn't read all the song descriptions from the review(only some), to be a bit surprised when listening to it, but let's spoil this one! :)
God Bless Your Soul = God Save Us All? :)
I guess you're right man. Can't wait! I want to hear the rest of the album.