DTLI? 10th Tour - Part II: West Coast edition 2013

All upcoming Sum 41 dates will be posted here. Post live reviews in here as well.

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Re:

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

HugoDisasters wrote:Calling a vast majority of people "fanboys" that share the common interest with you, but doesn't think about the band the same way as you do.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://thisweconfess.files.wordpress.co ... large.jpeg[/imgwidth]

I think you should reconsider your use of "fanboy" just because people doesn't think like you.
Sum 41 (diehard) fan: One who enjoys Sum 41's music to a major, consistent consent. The interest in the bands music does contain expectation's of being far above mediocre. Since the band is enjoyed very much to the fan, the music will mostly satisfy and suffice. However, there will be disappointment to certain extant if there is an honest dislike in the band's decisions.

Sum 41 fanboy: One who refuses to criticize the band and will defend them on every single case even when they are wrong. Fanboys simply kiss the ass of the artist and will never draw the line between what is acceptable or not to the realistic fan-base's opinion, or to common sense, or courtesy in the music industry.

There you go, fanboy.
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Re: DTLI? 10th Tour - Part II: West Coast edition 2013

Post by Noreason757 »

:balling: STOP FIGHTING EVERYONE YOU'RE TEARING THIS FAMILY APART!! :balling:
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

the only reason my lengthy response was harsh was due to his original reply to my statement about not wanting to attend the second show.

to say I haven't been following the band a long time is laughable. I've been buying their records for over ten years and have seen them five times since 2004. and because i attend a DTLI show expecting to hear all the DTLI songs, I'm not a true sum 41 fan? retarded comment. and it's not even like they swapped those five songs out for ones they haven't already been playing to death over the past few years. if they played other lesser known songs that would be cool. but they aren't.

I don't have to know the band's schedule to claim their time isn't more valuable than mine. we're all humans. just because they have more money doesn't make their time any more valuable. and some of you actually think a band who has sold millions of albums is struggling for money? really? if they are, maybe they should stop spending it like they're massive rock stars.

if you want to pay to meet the band, that's cool. but I won't do it and I was explaining my reason behind it.
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

HALLELUJAH FINALLY A NEW GUITAR. I seriously do miss the day where they used all kinds of guitars though. Bums me out now.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

kevin5064 wrote:the only reason my lengthy response was harsh was due to his original reply to my statement about not wanting to attend the second show.
Fair enough. After re-reading my original reply, it does seem to be offensive towards you. That wasn't the intention though. It was more like a monologue, throwing in the thoughts I was having about it. Like I clarified, the thought of skipping the show because of the setlist you've already seen is something I couldn't understand. I could come up with numerous of reasons to skip a show, but that one is something I'd never think about. To me it sounded like "I don't want to eat today at all, if I can't have the same meal as yesterday".

So I was just extremely confused about the reasoning. Didn't mean to offend, sorry for misleading.
kevin5064 wrote:to say I haven't been following the band a long time is laughable. I've been buying their records for over ten years and have seen them five times since 2004. and because i attend a DTLI show expecting to hear all the DTLI songs, I'm not a true sum 41 fan? retarded comment. and it's not even like they swapped those five songs out for ones they haven't already been playing to death over the past few years. if they played other lesser known songs that would be cool. but they aren't.
I guess you're referring to someone else's reply, since I never said you weren't a fan. What I meant by paying attention to the band, I meant that during the years TNS has been up, there have been a lot of stories by members how they met the band. None of them had to pay anything extra to achieve that, so to think that VIP ticket is the only way to meet them is wrong. Like you and I said, it's up to you if you want to pay shit to meet them, just know that it's not the only option. Don't blame them for trying to get some money out of it, some people might fall for it, which is a win-win situation for the band and the fans buying it. It's just not the only way.

TheWatchmaker wrote:Kevin's original post was cynical but Tomi, your reply was way over the top. honestly dude im kind of embarrassed for you...
Now what's YOUR problem?

It's perfectly okay to join in an argument, either to provide your own visions or agree or disagree with someone. But what's the point of coming in as a third party and start throwing in personal offenses? You just want to piss me off? You think that's cool?

Seriously man, you disappoint me. I thought you were one of the coolest members here. Thanks for pointing me wrong.

---

Guys, what's with all this hate against me? I just voiced out my opinion, maybe choosing a few wrong words, but HARDLY over the top.
I hate fighting, and I'd always prefer to stay out of it, but you're giving me a hard time to avoid that.

Remember, arguing and fighting are two different things. I never meant to offend anyone, but seems that I accidentally did, sorry for that. It's okay that Kevin stood up for himself after feeling offended, but I don't think I deserve insults from others. Am I really worth it?
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

TomiT14 wrote:
TheWatchmaker wrote:Kevin's original post was cynical but Tomi, your reply was way over the top. honestly dude im kind of embarrassed for you...
Now what's YOUR problem?

It's perfectly okay to join in an argument, either to provide your own visions or agree or disagree with someone. But what's the point of coming in as a third party and start throwing in personal offenses? You just want to piss me off? You think that's cool?

Seriously man, you disappoint me. I thought you were one of the coolest members here. Thanks for pointing me wrong.
In my view, the way you have replied in this topic made you seem arrogant and I know that's not who you are. I respect you man, you seem like you're a Sum 41 superfan, im not. I'm not even a die hard fan. if the band stopped making albums, it would not bother me one bit. i feel like sometimes, people let their emotions get the best of them in internet conversations and the whole point of a discussion turns into a pissing match. I don't feel like i insulted you, but if you took offense to my comments i apologize.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

TomiT14 wrote:
kevin5064 wrote:the only reason my lengthy response was harsh was due to his original reply to my statement about not wanting to attend the second show.
Fair enough. After re-reading my original reply, it does seem to be offensive towards you. That wasn't the intention though. It was more like a monologue, throwing in the thoughts I was having about it. Like I clarified, the thought of skipping the show because of the setlist you've already seen is something I couldn't understand. I could come up with numerous of reasons to skip a show, but that one is something I'd never think about. To me it sounded like "I don't want to eat today at all, if I can't have the same meal as yesterday".

So I was just extremely confused about the reasoning. Didn't mean to offend, sorry for misleading.
and that's the only reason i got mad. my original post where i said i wasn't sure if i wanted to attend the second show was purely a casual comment. it's not like i was throwing chairs around my room and legitimately getting pissed about them not playing all the DTLI songs. i am disappointed, though. and if i hadn't known beforehand and attended the show, i would probably be mad afterwards.

basically, you chose some poor words which made your response seem like an attack so i retaliated. that is all. nothing more to argue. I disagree with the shortened DTLI set and paid meet and greets, you think they are acceptable. no words will change our opposing views. i'm not going to hold a grudge against you for calling me out on my cynicism. i'm just glad people arent afraid to voice their opinions. with that said, you guys ARE allowed to disagree with what the band does. they aren't ever going to know or even care about what we say.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

kevin5064 wrote:they aren't ever going to know or even care about what we say.
You do know they check out this forum quite often, right? Although it's a small chance they would read these very messages, but you never know..

And about this rant, case closed. Let's move on and wait for Nic's report from tonight's show!
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Pssh, case isn't closed until I give my two cents in it! (not talking about my penis)

I think all of you guys are right and there's not really "right" answer for any of this. Just realize that everyone said some good things. I think people confused Tomi's passion with aggressiveness, though those things come pretty close indeed! Only bad thing about Tomi is that he lives in Pori, c'mon now.

I find it a bit of bummer that Thanks For Nothing never got played. When this tour was announced that was the song I was excited about. "Really gonna hear it live after all these years!? (youtube live of course but still...) And it sucked baals that they don't play it even though it's DTLI tour. So I sort of get that some fans might be a bit bummed about not hearing whole DTLI especially because it's such rare ear candy. I mean other than singles haven't been really played much after Chuck came out. They seemed to drop a lot of songs off the set. So some of those songs we haven't heard in 10 years, safe to say some people wanna hear them!

Okey, then let's think Sums point of view. They're playing a lot of shows and maybe realize that these some songs are not attracting much fan reactions. For example Steve has said many times that his favorite songs to play are Fat Lip and Still Waiting just becase fans go batshit nuts during those songs. So during songs like Billy Spleen people are kinda calming down, it can bring the show down. So they change it up and give normal fans what they want: singles. Everyone's happy except that small percent of hardcore fans that want to hear DTLI in full.

I think Sums should play more rare songs and they've done it lately. The shows they've been playing for a year now seemed to have amazing setlists. I don't understand the point of not wanting to see the show with different setlist indeed, that doesn't make sense much. It makes sense in the way like I said earlier tho, DTLI is rare ear candy.

Okey, then about VIP thingy. Like Tomi said, you can meet the band without it too. VIP package also gets you some sweet shit if you're into that. It's a big price for people our age, mostly students and so forth. But for some people it's not a big thing to pay, especially when they get pretty sweet shit and meet their idols. I'd pay VIP for sure, once. I think it's win-win situation. People who don't wanna wait hours and hours can pay their access + some exclusive stuff, what's wrong with that? As long as you can meet them for free too, I don't see problem here.

One thing I sort of would like to see with Sums is changing their songs a bit. Make them different from studio versions. There's a little bit of that happening, especially with No Brains and Reason To Believe but maybe improvise solo or two, you know? Maybe come on stage and play acoustic version of some song at the end of the show. That kind of shit is what I like to hear! If I wanna hear the exact album versions, I'll just listen to the albums. When I see band live, I like to hear something bit different. Luckily Sums do mix up stuff too, there are far more worse band when it comes to this...

When it comes to fanboys, I think regular members of this forum are not fanboys. I've been on some forums and oh boy, I hate those forums so much. When Oh Love from Green Day came out, greenday authority was horrible to read. It's the worst song of all time and people are like "this is the best green day song ever written" Also critic towards UH kind of shows that this is no fanboy forum. (Listened to UH today btw, realized it's so fucking good. Am I fanboy? DAMMIT)

(okey I was talking about my penis in the beginning)
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re:

Post by Gregorovich »

samueeL wrote:Pssh, case isn't closed until I give my two cents in it! (not talking about my penis)
Lol.
fuck this signature nonsense
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Re: Re:

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

kevin5064 wrote:Also, no one should have to pay to meet anyone. I don't care what other bands are charging. Most bands don't charge anything at all to meet fans because that kind of makes them assholes. Sum 41 is definitely a band that would not still exist in 2013 if it weren't for their (drastically reduced) fan base. Charging these people money for a staged autograph and picture is just lame, in my opinion. How hard is it to sign a few autographs and take pictures with the ten people who wait for five hours outside the venue after the show is done? I can tell you one thing that is for certain: their time is no more valuable than anyone else's. Don't fool yourself into thinking it is. Is it easier for the band to have it organized in a paid fashion? Absolutely. That doesn't mean they need to charge $75 for it.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Goon Platoon memberships used to be like $25 (can't remember if it was a yearly fee or a one-time charge) and they had some meet and greets for members. That's totally different and far more respectable than charging $75 per show.

So I apologize for being a human being and questioning this band's decision to play half of what they promised and charge a lot of money for what i assume to be a very brief exchange of words.
There were A LOT of kids when I went to the show who couldn't stay after the show to get an autograph either because they had school the next day or they had a long drive home. Deryck, Steve, Jason, and Tom are all awesome guys and signed everything and anything the kids wanted signed after the shows. I did mention to Steve that there would be a lot more people waiting for them, but they left because they couldn't wait that long, and he said that sucked! I highly doubt that's why they have the VIP for the west coast, it may be just for the money, but there's people that will pay for the VIP. Sum 41 isn't going to say to someone who waited outside for 4 hours after the show who didn't do the VIP that they won't sign anything. That would be ridiculous!
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Recorded by yours truly <3
edit: btw, i definitely believe the VIP tickets were well worth the cost. I was talking to this kid next to me, and he was saying the cost to meet Tom Delonge after a Blink concert was around $500.
Queso Man
King of Contradiction
First name: Bryant
360 Gamer Tag: Queso Man
Twitter: Queso_Man

Re:

Post by Queso Man »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:Recorded by yours truly <3
edit: btw, i definitely believe the VIP tickets were well worth the cost. I was talking to this kid next to me, and he was saying the cost to meet Tom Delonge after a Blink concert was around $500.
Such a beautiful love song. :glad:

Yep, VIP was definitely worth the cost.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Queso Man wrote:
Resident Skumfuk wrote:btw, i definitely believe the VIP tickets were well worth the cost. I was talking to this kid next to me, and he was saying the cost to meet Tom Delonge after a Blink concert was around $500.

So, anything else you'd like to share? :glad:

How was it? Did you meet them? How was the setlist?
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

TomiT14 wrote:
Queso Man wrote:
Resident Skumfuk wrote:btw, i definitely believe the VIP tickets were well worth the cost. I was talking to this kid next to me, and he was saying the cost to meet Tom Delonge after a Blink concert was around $500.

it was incredible! getting called on stage was seriously awesome. also, the vip allows you to get in before everyone else so we had spots in the front row, dead center. so for me that was almost worth the cost alone.

the setlist was great, although it did lack a lot of DTLI songs. I saw them play DTLI almost entirely in Chicago, and it seems they've taken out the lesser known songs that the average listener doesn't really know. Getting to meet them afterwards was really awesome. Both times I've met them they've been incredibly nice. They stuck around and talked for quite awhile, honestly.

They're playing in Columbus Ohio in April, and I think me and Queso Man might try to attend that show as well, its quite a bit closer to us than St Louis.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
Queso Man wrote:

it was incredible! getting called on stage was seriously awesome. also, the vip allows you to get in before everyone else so we had spots in the front row, dead center. so for me that was almost worth the cost alone.

the setlist was great, although it did lack a lot of DTLI songs. I saw them play DTLI almost entirely in Chicago, and it seems they've taken out the lesser known songs that the average listener doesn't really know. Getting to meet them afterwards was really awesome. Both times I've met them they've been incredibly nice. They stuck around and talked for quite awhile, honestly.

They're playing in Columbus Ohio in April, and I think me and Queso Man might try to attend that show as well, its quite a bit closer to us than St Louis.
so what's in the VIP package? getting in early and meeting them ?
goonday41

Post by goonday41 »

TomiT14 wrote:
goonday41 wrote:it is the same guitar. i saw it up close and personal. first thing i thought was 'oh shit, thats derycks old standard!' and then i see tape remnants from the old Xs. confirmed.
btw, i caught 3 deryck picks!
Dude! You were at both shows? How was it?
IT. WAS. AWESOME.
Ive seen them twice with dave, and 3 times with Tom. Im telling ya, they sounded maybe the best ive ever heard them.
At the Sacramento show they played The Hell Song-Mr. Amsterdam (same setlist for the reno & sac show). I was a little bummed, but still pleased they at least got to Mr. Amsterdam. After that im pretty sure it went; Motivation, In Too Deep, Walking Disaster, Sick Of Everyone, Underclass Hero, We Will Rock You, Sabotage, Fat Lip, and then Pain For Pleasure. WHY NO WERE ALL TO BLAME?!?!?!?! Again, same setlist for both shows. During Underclass Hero, Deryck threw a water bottle out into the crowd. I caught that. At the end of Underclass Hero, Deryck threw a pick out to the crowd. I caught that too :devious:
I waited for Pain For Pleasure to do my crowd surfing. I crowd surfed twice, and at the end of the song as I got to the edge of the crowd, right before the security guard caught me, i fist bumped stevo!! A photographer snapped a pic of this, and ive scoured the internet for it with no luck. :balling:

So, once the show ended, it was off to Reno...

I woke up in our hotel room the next day in reno. I went downstairs to go buy some cigarettes at the store and when I exit the back door of the hotel lobby I looked across the street and saw Dan Moyse hanging out in front of a huge tour bus. I run to the store and buy my cigarettes and a bottle of jack daniels ;) . I walk over to Dan and tell him to give this to Deryck, and that I saw them last night and it was my 6th time & blah blah blahhh. Dan said Deryck will love it, and that he'd give it to him when he woke up.
So i get to the show later and the sound system in the place was twice as loud as Sacramento's! So awesome. This time i managed to get all the way in the front, direct center. Only a guard rail seperating Deryck & I. I could reach out and touch his foot if I wanted to kinda close. They played the same set and Deryck said "yup" under his breath when i yelled out "AVRIL IS A WHORE!!!" in between songs hahahahaha. At the end of underclass hero Deryck threw his pick. I caught it. Haha. When Tom struck the last chord of Sabotage he looked at me and I yelled "FUCK YA!" He looked at me, fist bumped me, and said "FUCK YA??? ARE YOU READY??" and starting playing the intro riff to fat lip while mouthing the tune of it to me. SO AWESOME!!
At the end of P4P, Deryck struck his final chord of the night & threw his pick into the crowd. I caught it :devious:

Later that night at about 2 am i was buying a bottle of champagne at that same store when i see 3 dudes walk by the store window. I knew who it was. I left my wallet and ran out of the store. It was Tom, Cone, and Steve. They were the only people on the whole strip! I ran up to them still with all my Sums gear on and ranted uncontrollably about how awesome they were haha. They looked a little freaked at first - im about a foot taller than them haha! I gave them all hugs and thanked them for everything. I left my phone in the store so i couldnt get a pic! They looked freezing though, it was 17 degrees out i didnt wanna bother them. Im fortunate to say it was the third time i met em! It was an awsome 24 hours!

All in all, you guys dont gotta bitch about what songs they play and all that. Most of the people in the crowd arent like us and were just there to hear Fat Lip anyway.
They still fuckin ROCK, and 12 years later, theyre still my favorite band.
Queso Man
King of Contradiction
First name: Bryant
360 Gamer Tag: Queso Man
Twitter: Queso_Man

Post by Queso Man »

TomiT14 wrote:
Queso Man wrote:

It was amazing! They played different DTLI songs that they hadn't when I saw them at the start of the tour, so I was happy. And yes, Deryck likes to throw water bottles at the crowd. Since I was against the barricade in center I got splashed right in the face!

Meeting them was pretty surreal and awesome. You don't know what to say. They were all really cool though, though Cone was the most social. Deryck told me how he's going to be writing more new songs soon. I told him to try not to use that word. :2cool4u:
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

goonday41 wrote:When Tom struck the last chord of Sabotage he looked at me and I yelled "FUCK YA!" He looked at me, fist bumped me, and said "FUCK YA??? ARE YOU READY??" and starting playing the intro riff to fat lip while mouthing the tune of it to me.
Dude! That's so awesome! Glad you had a great time (and some extremely good luck aswell, haha!)
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Stevo32 wrote:Sweet poster from our show in San Fran @sum41 #apesinspace
Click to view the fullsize image.http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 3815_n.jpg[/imgwidth]