DTLI? 10th Tour - Part II: West Coast edition 2013

All upcoming Sum 41 dates will be posted here. Post live reviews in here as well.

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

So i saw them play the DTLI show in Chicago, but now they're playing my hometown in Michigan in April. In Chicago, they played the full album excluding "Thanks For Nothing," which was a bit lame. But now, i see they are only playing SEVEN songs off the album. I dont know if this has been discussed here yet, but does anyone know why? i thought the point of the tour was to play the whole album. now that they've dropped the best songs off the set, i don't even feel like going.

Leaving out the best songs and charging fans a ridiculous amount for VIP packages. meh
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Re: DTLI? 10th Tour - Part II: West Coast edition 2013

Post by Mitchell »

HugoDisasters wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
goonday41 wrote:it is the same guitar. i saw it up close and personal. first thing i thought was 'oh shit, thats derycks old standard!' and then i see tape remnants from the old Xs. confirmed.
btw, i caught 3 deryck picks!
Dude! You were at both shows? How was it?
Nice! Great to see that guitar again.
I do wonder how the guitar ended up where it was found though :hehe:
The whole point of a storage is to store things...
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Mitchell wrote:
HugoDisasters wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:
goonday41 wrote:it is the same guitar. i saw it up close and personal. first thing i thought was 'oh shit, thats derycks old standard!' and then i see tape remnants from the old Xs. confirmed.
btw, i caught 3 deryck picks!
Dude! You were at both shows? How was it?
Nice! Great to see that guitar again.
I do wonder how the guitar ended up where it was found though :hehe:
The whole point of a storage is to store things...
Yeah, missed that part of the post...

If they're only playing 7 songs of DTLI on a DTLI tour, then i think they should be better off getting back into the studio again. Or I'm just being selfish wanting to hear new material. No! Wait? Why? Maybe. Well i heard Deryck has already done a couple of songs somewhere!

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

i mean i'd gladly have them drop five of the "hits" so we could hear the full album performed live. the second half of DTLI is my personal favorite and i know a lot of fans feel the same way.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Queso Man and I are going to make the 5 hour journey to see the Sums on the 29th!
Queso Man
King of Contradiction
First name: Bryant
360 Gamer Tag: Queso Man
Twitter: Queso_Man

Re:

Post by Queso Man »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:Queso Man and I are going to make the 5 hour journey to see the Sums on the 29th!
Stoked!

As for the VIP prices, what better way to spend your money than on Sum 41? Isn't touring how they actually make most of their money?
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

I'm pretty glad they're not playing as many songs from DTLI? now, not long till I see them again :D :D :D
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Yeah, even on the Toronto show which was in the beginning at the first leg of the tour they haven't played Thanks for Nothing (but the whole album except that) but when I met Deryck after the show he said he forgot the song cause he was drunk, and also that he doesn't like doing it live haha
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

kevin5064 wrote:So i saw them play the DTLI show in Chicago, but now they're playing my hometown in Michigan in April. In Chicago, they played the full album excluding "Thanks For Nothing," which was a bit lame. But now, i see they are only playing SEVEN songs off the album. I dont know if this has been discussed here yet, but does anyone know why? i thought the point of the tour was to play the whole album. now that they've dropped the best songs off the set, i don't even feel like going.

Leaving out the best songs and charging fans a ridiculous amount for VIP packages. meh
So, you saw them play DTLI already? And now you're pissed that they won't play the exact same setlist in your hometown? WHAT?

Give me a break! Some people here have dreamed of seeing them live at least once, and you're going to pass your second show of the tour because they are playing different songs than the last time? What are you?

And if you haven't figured out by now, people have different tastes. Sums aren't able to play more than 23-ish songs out of their 89-song catalogue. Obviously they can't play everyone's favorite songs at once, so they have to compromize by shuffling their setlist every now and then. And you're pissed at them for doing that?

About the VIP tickets, some bands offer the same for 150-250 dollars, so this is a steal. They are offering you a chance to MEET them, isn't that awesome enough, no matter what price?
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re: Re:

Post by Gregorovich »

TomiT14 wrote:About the VIP tickets, some bands offer the same for 150-250 dollars, so this is a steal. They are offering you a chance to MEET them, isn't that awesome enough, no matter what price?
Agreed. I wish I even had the chance to get VIP tickets.

Anywhore...
fuck this signature nonsense
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Gregorovich wrote:

I think they put Thanks For Nothing in this just to fuck with us.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

I think they put Thanks For Nothing in this just to fuck with us.
:devious: +1
Even though I'm not a huge fan of Thanks For Nothing.
Hopefully they will get a regular set list soon :)

kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

TomiT14 wrote:
kevin5064 wrote:So i saw them play the DTLI show in Chicago, but now they're playing my hometown in Michigan in April. In Chicago, they played the full album excluding "Thanks For Nothing," which was a bit lame. But now, i see they are only playing SEVEN songs off the album. I dont know if this has been discussed here yet, but does anyone know why? i thought the point of the tour was to play the whole album. now that they've dropped the best songs off the set, i don't even feel like going.

So, you saw them play DTLI already? And now you're pissed that they won't play the exact same setlist in your hometown? WHAT?

Give me a break! Some people here have dreamed of seeing them live at least once, and you're going to pass your second show of the tour because they are playing different songs than the last time? What are you?

And if you haven't figured out by now, people have different tastes. Sums aren't able to play more than 23-ish songs out of their 89-song catalogue. Obviously they can't play everyone's favorite songs at once, so they have to compromize by shuffling their setlist every now and then. And you're pissed at them for doing that?

About the VIP tickets, some bands offer the same for 150-250 dollars, so this is a steal. They are offering you a chance to MEET them, isn't that awesome enough, no matter what price?
First of all, can you read? The tour poster says they'll play DTLI plus some hits. They dropped FIVE songs from the DTLI portion of the set. Anyone attending the show who stopped giving a shit about this band after Chuck is definitely going to be pissed off if they pay to see half of the album played. If the band is forced to cut songs due to set time restrictions, so be it. But anyone who follows this band through interviews can assume that they aren't playing those five songs because Deryck doesn't like them. If that's the case, why falsely advertise the show and claim they'll play the whole thing?

This band could play a 25 song set and fit in everything they need to please all fans. They proved this with the European tour set list prior to this DTLI anniversary one. The set in Chicago was DTLI + the hits. That's what the tour claims to be and you can get fucked if you think i'm wrong for wanting to see that set again in my hometown.

Also, no one should have to pay to meet anyone. I don't care what other bands are charging. Most bands don't charge anything at all to meet fans because that kind of makes them assholes. Sum 41 is definitely a band that would not still exist in 2013 if it weren't for their (drastically reduced) fan base. Charging these people money for a staged autograph and picture is just lame, in my opinion. How hard is it to sign a few autographs and take pictures with the ten people who wait for five hours outside the venue after the show is done? I can tell you one thing that is for certain: their time is no more valuable than anyone else's. Don't fool yourself into thinking it is. Is it easier for the band to have it organized in a paid fashion? Absolutely. That doesn't mean they need to charge $75 for it.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Goon Platoon memberships used to be like $25 (can't remember if it was a yearly fee or a one-time charge) and they had some meet and greets for members. That's totally different and far more respectable than charging $75 per show.

So I apologize for being a human being and questioning this band's decision to play half of what they promised and charge a lot of money for what i assume to be a very brief exchange of words.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

kevin5064 wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:

First of all, can you read? The tour poster says they'll play DTLI plus some hits. They dropped FIVE songs from the DTLI portion of the set. Anyone attending the show who stopped giving a shit about this band after Chuck is definitely going to be pissed off if they pay to see half of the album played. If the band is forced to cut songs due to set time restrictions, so be it. But anyone who follows this band through interviews can assume that they aren't playing those five songs because Deryck doesn't like them. If that's the case, why falsely advertise the show and claim they'll play the whole thing?

This band could play a 25 song set and fit in everything they need to please all fans. They proved this with the European tour set list prior to this DTLI anniversary one. The set in Chicago was DTLI + the hits. That's what the tour claims to be and you can get fucked if you think i'm wrong for wanting to see that set again in my hometown.

Also, no one should have to pay to meet anyone. I don't care what other bands are charging. Most bands don't charge anything at all to meet fans because that kind of makes them assholes. Sum 41 is definitely a band that would not still exist in 2013 if it weren't for their (drastically reduced) fan base. Charging these people money for a staged autograph and picture is just lame, in my opinion. How hard is it to sign a few autographs and take pictures with the ten people who wait for five hours outside the venue after the show is done? I can tell you one thing that is for certain: their time is no more valuable than anyone else's. Don't fool yourself into thinking it is. Is it easier for the band to have it organized in a paid fashion? Absolutely. That doesn't mean they need to charge $75 for it.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Goon Platoon memberships used to be like $25 (can't remember if it was a yearly fee or a one-time charge) and they had some meet and greets for members. That's totally different and far more respectable than charging $75 per show.

So I apologize for being a human being and questioning this band's decision to play half of what they promised and charge a lot of money for what i assume to be a very brief exchange of words.
Chill the fuck out man.

1. It's entirely up to the band what songs they play. False advertising? What a ridiculous thing to say. If the only reason you went to the show was to hear DTLI, instead of the rest of the band's catalog, then you can't honestly consider yourself a Sum 41 fan. Bands' setlists change drastically multiple times over the course of a tour, for various reasons. Don't get into a hissy fit when they don't play what they started the tour with.

2. Meeting the band is only one of the upshots of the VIP pass. Take care to actually read the post correctly. And who are you to say how valuable the band's time is? Had it occurred to you that, tours being pretty much the only source of income for the band/management at the moment after the massive decline in album sales, perhaps money is a pressing matter?
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

kevin5064 wrote:angry words
What. Is. Your. Problem.

Why so offended? Go fight somewhere else, I'm not in the mood.

First off, you clearly haven't paid any attention to the band for a long time if you think the VIP pass is the only way to meet the band. If I'm not mistaken, the band has visited the fans outside the venue in EVERY FUCKING SHOW on this and the last tour, even in Toronto, when they had a house full of family and friends.
Business is business. It's up to you if you want to pay shit to make sure you'll meet them, have a framed picture, autograph AND a front row spot. Or you can buy a regular ticket, wait for hours in line to get a decent spot in the crowd, and wait hours after the show to meet them. Either way, the end result is the same, it's just a matter of paying shit to avoid the unnecessities. The seller is never stupid to offer things, it's up to the buyer to do what he/she thinks is the best.

Secondly, I don't say seeing the exact same setlist twice is bad. I've been to back-to-back shows on consecutive dates, and they had the exact same setlist. Still, the shows were like a night and day. But to say that you REFUSE to go to their show because they won't have the same setlist is beyond me. You already know how those songs sound, why not be welcoming to the other stuff you haven't heard yet? You already lived that night, why not creating new memories?

The original idea was to play DTLI from start to end. I'm sure they have a reason why they've changed that. Fan reaction to some songs maybe? Remember, big part of the crowd only know the singles, so maybe the crowd isn't familiar with Billy Spleen, and they'd want to hear Underclass Hero instead? Who knows. But the band doesn't owe them their setlist. They play what they think is the best for the night. And still they are playing half of the album. That's way more than what they played from UH on a tour called The Underclass Hero Tour.

No, I don't blame you. I'm just curious to know why someone would rather refuse to attend the show of their favorite (?) band, just because they won't play the same songs as last time. That I would understand, if someone doesn't bother paying the exact same thing twice, but this way around it's just beyond me.
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

kevin5064 wrote: So I apologize for being a human being and questioning this band's decision to play half of what they promised and charge a lot of money for what i assume to be a very brief exchange of words.
You know man, I must say- I do respect you for voicing your true opinion. Majority of the people in this thread just "fanboy" the fuck out the sums. I do agree with you on certain topics such as how dishonest it is of Sum 41 to cut DTLI songs from the set when they are advertising "Full Album! Plus the Hits!!". You have all the rights in the world to be upset, and you should be. It is a mistake that the band is making and we all have a right to be upset. Again, props for not being a whimsy "fanboy" who has to defend EVERY single one of Sum 41's cases. No, Sum 41 does not owe us anything- but they simply have to own up to what they announce and advertise as long as it's in their control. It's simply the right thing to do.

I love Sum 41 with all my heart- and that's exactly why I get upset with them and criticize what I legitimately dislike. Sum 41 fanboys, like most of you- just kiss their asses and defend everything they do.

Anyways- what I disagree with you on, is the fact that we shouldn't have to pay to meet them, or any band of any sort. Don't feel like reasoning just yet because I have to go now. Maybe I will later.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

cladam41 wrote:
kevin5064 wrote: So I apologize for being a human being and questioning this band's decision to play half of what they promised and charge a lot of money for what i assume to be a very brief exchange of words.
You know man, I must say- I do respect you for voicing your true opinion. Majority of the people in this thread just "fanboy" the fuck out the sums. I do agree with you on certain topics such as how dishonest it is of Sum 41 to cut DTLI songs from the set when they are advertising "Full Album! Plus the Hits!!". You have all the rights in the world to be upset, and you should be. It is a mistake that the band is making and we all have a right to be upset. Again, props for not being a whimsy "fanboy" who has to defend EVERY single one of Sum 41's cases. No, Sum 41 does not owe us anything- but they simply have to own up to what they announce and advertise as long as it's in their control. It's simply the right thing to do.

I love Sum 41 with all my heart- and that's exactly why I get upset with them and criticize what I legitimately dislike. Sum 41 fanboys, like most of you- just kiss their asses and defend everything they do.
Seems like you're implying myself being a fanboy. I won't go too defensive about this, but I say that I don't agree about everything they've done, but rather than blaming them, I'd like to learn to understand why they keep doing what they do.

I really doubt the band itself had much to do with the advertisement. They probably told the promoter that they plan on playing the whole album, NOT promising to play every single song in every show .
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Calling a vast majority of people "fanboys" that share the common interest with you, but doesn't think about the band the same way as you do.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://thisweconfess.files.wordpress.co ... large.jpeg[/imgwidth]

I think you should reconsider your use of "fanboy" just because people doesn't think like you.

Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

im on kevin's side of this argument, sort of. If a band declares a tour the "Does this Look Infected 10th Anniversary tour" and advertise that they're gonna play the whole/most of the album, they better follow through. if they are slowly cutting back the songs because they don't like playing them, then they're dicks for announcing this tour. VIP packages? who cares? it's a money grab for every band. and if you know they're approachable after the show and you can meet them for free, then why are you complaining? don't get the VIP package.

Kevin's original post was cynical but Tomi, your reply was way over the top. honestly dude im kind of embarrassed for you...
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Still agree completely with Tomi. It's entirely up to the band what to do. They don't owe us anything. You don't want to go to a show because the band aren't playing the same songs they played a week ago? Cool.