Accessing the media section

Ask anything about the site here. Chances are you'll get an answer.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Re: Accessing the media section

Post by Bobbyjames »

if people are sad enough to spam this forum in order to download some media they CAN find elsewhere on the internet, then let them. at least it's making people post here. you never know, someone spamming to reach the limit might end up liking this place and end up staying. I don't see why we should be puhing people away from this place, we need as many new members as we can get hold of in order to grow.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

bobbyjames wrote:in order to grow.
Is the growth better than the quality of the posts?
We want new people to discuss about the band. The media is like a present for them, like "thanks for contributing to our community".
NOT that they come here for the media, start to post shit to reach the 200 limit, and then possibly leave.
What is it for the community? Bunch of annoying posts, is that what we want in order to grow?

If the donation is not the option, then I think we should add that you must be a member for like 2-6 months AND reach the post limit of 200 or higher.
Dontaion was an idea to fix the website hosting issue at the same time.
bobbyjames wrote:in order to download some media they CAN find elsewhere on the internet
We have a bunch of bootlegs and live shows that aren't that easy to find elsewhere.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

the more this pace grows, the more well known the site will be, the more genuine fans with sign up here. the majority of regular posters on here don;t care about Sum 41 anymore, and I think we need to find a way to change that, we need more genuine Sum 41 fans here.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

swarley wrote:yeah, i freakin hate newbs
Hi Jeremy!
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

It got posted twice, please delete this one.
Peterr
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Peter

Post by Peterr »

Media should be free to everyone. We're all fans. If bandwidth is a problem upload it elsewere.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Emil wrote:
Hi Jeremy!
No idea what you're talking about!

I was thinking that maybe we can leave the 200 limit, but decrease the leeway. As soon as it becomes apparent that someone is spamming, report their posts and Moderators will hand out a warning. Any deliberate spam after this warning (even just one spam post after) results in another warning until the user gets banned.

If the user reaches 200 posts without spamming, stops posting once they reach 200 (or never go past 300) and their last date of log in was within one month, then reset their post count to 0 or some method where they lose the privilege to access media. They can't use the excuse of lurking and reading about Sum 41 as any user and guest can do this.

Lastly, any requests made by users (who mysteriously make into the media section) with less than 200 posts are denied and topics are locked. A warning could be handed out thereafter, but I think that's going too far with the strictness of things. Though if they do it a second time (assuming rules were explained to them the first time) then hand out a warning.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Emil wrote:
Hi Jeremy!
No idea what you're talking about!

I was thinking that maybe we can leave the 200 limit, but decrease the leeway. As soon as it becomes apparent that someone is spamming, report their posts and Moderators will hand out a warning. Any deliberate spam after this warning (even just one spam post after) results in another warning until the user gets banned.

If the user reaches 200 posts without spamming, stops posting once they reach 200 (or never go past 300) and their last date of log in was within one month, then reset their post count to 0 or some method where they lose the privilege to access media. They can't use the excuse of lurking and reading about Sum 41 as any user and guest can do this.

Lastly, any requests made by users (who mysteriously make into the media section) with less than 200 posts are denied and topics are locked. A warning could be handed out thereafter, but I think that's going too far with the strictness of things. Though if they do it a second time (assuming rules were explained to them the first time) then hand out a warning.
I like these. I really do. Especially the request thing.
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

Does we really need to put so much time and thought into it?
The 200 post rule has worked out fine the way it is so far. Why does it need to be changed?

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Gibsum 41 wrote:Does we really need to put so much time and thought into it?
The 200 post rule has worked out fine the way it is so far. Why does it need to be changed?
Well, some people were annoyed by the spamming some noobs were doing.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I know what you mean. There hasn't been a serious flood of new members trying to spam.

I think if all of us Moderators pull together and run a tighter ship we should be able to keep the spammer problem under control.

Though if regular members witness any spam posts made by new members, I ask that they be reported via the report button. That way it's easier to be noticed by Mods. Luke would probably be able to give a good lecture on the report button if he was still around.
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
I know what you mean. There hasn't been a serious flood of new members trying to spam.

I think if all of us Moderators pull together and run a tighter ship we should be able to keep the spammer problem under control.

Though if regular members witness any spam posts made by new members, I ask that they be reported via the report button. That way it's easier to be noticed by Mods. Luke would probably be able to give a good lecture on the report button if he was still around.
Lulz and remind us how to use the smileys as well.
Seriously though, maybe it's my lack of spending time in this place but I really haven't seen that much spamming around the forum. Not more than the usual amount anyways, so I'm with Jeremy on just reporting the spam posts.

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Gibsum 41 wrote:Lulz and remind us how to use the smileys as well.
Well, y'know... it's not like you can click on them or anything. :silly: (<- Had to look up how to do that one. Took 10 mins).
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

The funny thing is that it's mostly the old members that make useless spam topics.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

yeah I don't know...I really want to be a part of the site...fuck I wanted 2 years ago too but I couldn't ...the problem is,who just wants to see the media or be a part of all this...btw Jeremy's solution sounds great...who stops posting after 200 posts will never see the media section again...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

FuckT41182 wrote:yeah I don't know...I really want to be a part of the site...fuck I wanted 2 years ago too but I couldn't ...the problem is,who just wants to see the media or be a part of all this...btw Jeremy's solution sounds great...who stops posting after 200 posts will never see the media section again...
while it may be a good idea, it would be nigh on impossible to reliably automate.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Capoeirista666
Bunkface
First name: Bob

Post by Capoeirista666 »

nah i think 200 is good, it means you're already quite involved in what's happening, and as has already been said, not everyone can donate
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

nah as Boni said not every1 has a credit card or are tight bastards lol

bump the posts required up a cupple hundred maybe but to solve the post whoreing problem, wel wel just have to keep monitoring the N00bz and issue warning to them. 3 warning and your out the door? (banned)
Capoeirista666
Bunkface
First name: Bob

Post by Capoeirista666 »

Mr-David-Blues wrote:nah as Boni said not every1 has a credit card or are tight bastards lol

bump the posts required up a cupple hundred maybe but to solve the post whoreing problem, wel wel just have to keep monitoring the N00bz and issue warning to them. 3 warning and your out the door? (banned)
the three warning thing seems good to me
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

we already have a 3 warning system in place, though we don't really officially warn noobs for spamming, just warn people for being cunts. we just usually tell the noobs in a thread or PM to stop spamming.